Surgery in 10 days! Pre Op diet day 1.

LeAnn B.
on 5/31/15 10:07 am - OH

Hello everyone!

I will be flying out next Monday to have my surgery in Tijuana! The surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, and I'm starting to feel that nervous /excited/panicky feeling. I have a full reel of "what ifs" running through my brain....and I am trying not to focus on it. I think I am just ready for it to be over with, the anticipation is killing me!

My pre op diet is 10 days, and consists of 2 protein shakes and a salad per day. I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought of was food.....this concerns me. I mean duh, how else did I get to 282 pounds? I obviously have a major food addiction. But I will really have to work on this food addictions now and after surgery. I just worry about failing. Anyway! I bought an Unjury sample pack to give those a shot. I will say I am HIGHLY impressed. I really like the Chocolate and the Vanilla (the vanilla is a tad too sweet for me so I add more liquid). Not a big fan of the strawberry on its own...maybe mixed with Crystal Light, but on it's own it had a very strong "gelatin" smell and flavor to it. It tasted just the way unflavored gelatin smells...a bit funky. I was leary about the chicken  soup flavor, but I really really like it. I doctored it up a bit with some spices but it was super on its own. I will be trying the unflavored in some other foods to see if I like that also. I had my first shake at 8am and lasted until 12pm and my tummy was rumbling from hunger. I have to say that the chicken soup isnt as filling for some reason. So hopefully I can make it to dinner without being overly famished. Hope everyone is well I will update some more later this week!

Nurse12334
on 5/31/15 11:54 am

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I thought about food constantly during the pre op phase but after a few days I changed to think more about how I used food as comfort, crutch, etc.  Journaling and track all calories and intake also helped me.  It was a good time to get mentally focused.  Best of luck to you.  

rocky513
on 5/31/15 12:04 pm - WI

Don't be surprised if all of the protein powders you LOVED before surgery, you hate after surgery.  Your tastes will change so much.  Before surgery I bought large tubs of expensive protein powder from GNC that I LOVED.  I could not stand them after surgery.  It might be a good idea to get a few sample packets of protein in different brands so you can experiment later.  Many vitamin shops sell individual packets or you can find them online.

As for the food addiction, many of us have a therapist on our weight loss team to help us work through the head stuff.  Losing the weight is the easy part.  Keeping your head in the game is hard work.

Wishing you the best!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

beelitehobbies
on 5/31/15 6:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

good luck

pre-op diet will gets easier. Its a journey and you are just starting.

I am tough guy I think? You will get anxiety about the operation. I certainly did. It is worth every moment of worry and hardships in this process. Life will change for the better. Trust me

Good luck

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

mmsmom
on 6/1/15 4:59 am - Woburn, MA

This is the toughest part of the entire journey - keep your eye on the prize and remember there's a reason there is a preop diet - it's for your own benefit!  Good luck.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

LeAnn B.
on 6/1/15 9:07 am - OH

Thank you all soo much! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views