Deep depression

jejames2005
on 8/6/15 7:46 am - Phoenix, AZ

I am falling back into bad routines as I chow down on a crispy creme doughnut. I saw my doctor the other day and he said I was doing well but I might have to get the duodinal switch to lose all the weight. Everytime I think about the 225 lb I need to be normal I get depressed on top of further surgery. I just dont know how to shake this funk. To add to a bad time is that I have stalled for the last two months. I feel like I'm not going to make it.

Tracy D.
on 8/6/15 7:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time.  At some point you have to take control of the situation.  The reason for your stall:  obviously, you're eating crap.  I love Krispy Kremes as much as the next person.  But carbs are going to make you hungry, stall your weight loss and can actually contribute to feelings of depression.  

Your surgeon is telling you you're doing well because I'm sure you're not telling him about the donuts (or other stuff) that you're eating.  And if you're in your first few months of weight loss it's pretty tough NOT to lose weight.  

You've got issues that surgery isn't going to fix.  You need to reach out for help:  research your options for therapy; reach out to an Overeater's Anonymous group in person, online or phone.  And start holding yourself accountable.  

Nothing is going to change until you start taking some action.  The mere act of taking some positive action will help to lift your mood.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/6/15 8:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A revision to a DS isn't going to do squat if you can't follow your doctor's orders (which probably don't include donuts). Before thinking about another surgery, get back to your original plan: 600 - 800 calories, 60 - 80g protein, lots of fluids, and get moving.

If you're having trouble with the emotional side of things, you may want to find a professional to help; many people here work with therapists or counselors to help them in their journeys.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jejames2005
on 8/6/15 9:22 am - Phoenix, AZ

I did tell my doctor that I was struggling with cravings and motivation to go to the gym. He said it was normal and to get back on track and not beat muself up. I tried to follow his advice but my anxiety has not been making it easy for me

on 8/6/15 9:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Talking to someone would be a good idea. A common saying on here is "surgery fixes your stomach, but not your head." No shame in getting some help with the emotional side!

jejames2005
on 8/6/15 8:59 am - Phoenix, AZ

I know I need to go back to basics. Its sucks that i dont have insurance right now for counseling gotta wait til January for that.

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/15 11:10 am

I am not sure if you are religious person or not. So please don't take offense. Maybe you could talk to someone at a church or other houses of worship.

Coming to this forum is a good place. Sometimes we may not hear what we want to but it is the truth. I suffer from depression and anxiety. It sucks I understand that.

I think about how really unhappy I was before surgery. I know I have days where I do not want to leave the house but I make myself. 

You need to put yourself at the top of your list right now and start thinking why you had the surgery. Think about the good that you have done. We have a tendency of beating ourselves up and just keep going thinking we are not worth it. We are worth it.

Please take care of yourself. Write a list of things you have done well since surgery. Things you could not do before. 

You are worth it. Put down the donut and get the crap out of your house and get back to your meal plan.

on 8/6/15 12:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are some places that can help on a sliding-scale basis, or that otherwise work with people without insurance. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) has a referral line that might be able to help you find someone; you can call them for free at 1-800-950-NAMI.

michele1
on 8/6/15 4:59 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Check your local county or city behavioral centers some will offer reduced rates, my Son turned 21 and is only a part time student so can't be covered under our insurance (obamacare age limits doesn't apply to Military).

His self pay cost was cheaper than our copay, check the self pay rates you'd might be surprised.

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

akanikkie
on 8/6/15 6:55 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

Overeater's Anonymous is free and I think would be a good option.  Also, depending on where you live, there should be a WLS support group you could join too at no cost.  Wishing you the best!!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 81 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 296 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 345 views