Exercise, where to start?

Nicki08
on 8/14/15 7:37 am
VSG on 09/15/14

So im 11 months out, down 80 lbs 20 til goal...i reallly havent exercised much...i feel lost as to where to start...its not something I enjoy doing (obviously)...im mostly interested in rebuilding some of the muscle ive lost due to weight loss...im thinking of joing a gym once my daughter starts 2nd grade in a weak or so..any suggestions on a routine I can start with?

Tracy D.
on 8/14/15 12:50 am, edited 8/14/15 12:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Building muscle comes with resistance training - lifting weights, doing kettlebells, resistance bands, etc.  If you join a gym, it's worth paying for a session with a trainer to get programmed on the resistance tools/equipment they have so you don't hurt yourself.  Then you'll have a plan to follow for 2-3 days a week.  On the other days you can do simple cardio like treadmill, bike, walking outside, etc.  

Start slow...experiment with different things and see what "clicks".  Now that you're so much lighter/smaller, I'm betting there will be some kind of routine out there that makes you feel good 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

kranky813
on 8/14/15 7:51 am
VSG on 08/20/15

Start with some light cardio and work your way up. You can do the bike, elliptical, or treadmill just make sure you don't over do it or you wont keep it up. You can also start with some light weight training. Don't strain when you are lifting the weights or using the machines just get some good resistance and work your way up from there. Light weights with more repetitions will tone where heavy weights with short repetitions will build muscle. I can't stress enough about starting SLOWLY. If in doubt ask for a consultation with a personal trainer or google exercise after WLS. 

Good Luck!

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

kranky813
on 8/14/15 7:52 am
VSG on 08/20/15

I forgot to mention to do the weights every other day. If I go to the gym every day I alternate between legs and arms. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do arms where Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday I do legs. Make sure you give the muscles a day of rest after a workout. 

Surgery Date: 8/20/2015 - CW 233 - GW 140

Gwen M.
on 8/14/15 9:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The best exercise is the same for everyone - it's the exercise that you'll do.  And you'll probably only do exercise that you enjoy.  So your best plan is to try everything you have access to and see what floats your boat.  However, I highly recommend that you stick with each new thing for a month before giving up on it.  It's really easy to feel stupid, uncoordinated, and ungainly the first few times you try some new activity, so forcing yourself through that period will give you the best information to decide whether or not you want to keep something.  

Work with a personal trainer to learn how to lift weight.  Try walking, swimming, running, ellipticalling, and biking.  Join a lot of fitness classes and see if they appeal to you.  Try a martial art.  It might take trial and error, but it's really worthwhile and will serve your body well in the long term :)  

For me, I found that I actually sort of kind of love running - I would have chosen to be eaten by a bear if saving my life meant running.  But now, I love it.  I'm injured right now and can't run and miss it a LOT.  I love fitness classes that work my core and get me all stretched, so I do a lot of yoga and pilates.  I love more aerobic classes, but I don't have access to them, so I fit them in when I can when I'm visiting my parents.  I work with a personal trainer too and I enjoy lifting heavy things because it makes me feel strong and invincible.  I get a lot of variety in my weekly workouts because that tends to keep me from injury and it keeps life interesting :)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

suzyq584
on 8/14/15 9:57 am

Love this!  "I would have chosen to be eaten by a bear if saving my life meant running."