Something's Not Right...

NikkiL2015
on 8/13/15 8:47 am - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

So, I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op.... I understand about stalls and so forth but something's not right...  I am getting my water, I'm getting my protein, I'm getting my vitamins, yet for two weeks now I have gained.... Granted it only totals to a 3 pound gain, but shouldn't the scale be going down, not going up?  At first I thought ok it's jus****er weight or whatever, I woke up today thinking ok for sure today I will be down... nope....  I had such a rocky beginning, then I took off doing well, and now this bump in the road has me scared. Hmmm.... I'm probably over reacting, I don't know....

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 9:02 am

Unfortunately my stall started at 2 1/2 weeks and lasted just over a month.  I gained 3 lbs and the scale would go down a pound or two and then back up.  I woke up and weighed myself one day and was down 4 lbs overnight.  I have been losing around 2-3 lbs a week since.  It really sucked and I was so upset.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  I tried everything from eating more calories to going back to liquids only and nothing helped.  Just stick to your plan and I'm sure the scale will move again.

NikkiL2015
on 8/13/15 9:09 am - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Thank you for your response! I have been going out of my mind thinking oh crap have I done something wrong!!!!  I feel a little smaller but for some reason we need that number to passify us.... crazy!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 9:12 am

I know exactly what you mean.  I really measured my success initially by the scale alone.  The funny thing is that during the stall my friends and family kept commenting on how much weight I was losing even though I wasn't.  My clothes did get looser and I wish I had done measurements.  I feel like my weigh loss happens in peaks and valleys.  I stall on the scale but loose inches.  I loose on the scale but don't notice a change in my clothes.  Also I feel like my cycle is dictating my weight loss too.  It's very strange and I think it's best to only weigh every week or longer if you can.

Ready2goNOW
on 8/13/15 9:27 am

I am pre-op so I am not where you are regarding post-op & weight loss.

But I did want to share a few things I have learned in my 6 month pre-op surgery phase...

1) I had to get rid of the scale! for years I either rewarded myself or comforted myself based on what the scale said. I would begin to focus...really, it was more like obsessing...which distracted me from my meal plan & exercise. there is a strong link for me between my emotions & my eating so I learned to avoid triggers...and one of them is the scale!

I am get weighed once a month!

2) I am assuming you had the surgery for more than weight loss. Try to focus on the gaining your health back & the non-scale victories you achieve like the looser clothes & compliments on your weight loss. the weight WILL come off if you follow your plan.

I have lost almost 60 lbs. pre-op...surgery next month, and I am so much more excited by how much energy I have, how I can MOVE again & better & longer, and how my body is shrinking. I may still be close to 300 lbs., but the change in how I feel alone is worth it. I know the bigger changes lie ahead for me as I have over 100 more to lose, but not being in a size 10 yet does not bother me. I am content to know I am moving in the right direction.

You are no doubt doing EVERYTHING right...just change your focus for now. You will do fine!

Kathy

suzyq584
on 8/13/15 11:08 am

Get out of my head!!!    You do EXACTLY what I do in regards to the scale dictating how your day/eating will be.  I am REALLY tempted to get rid of my scale come surgery day and really think I will.  Or at least put it somewhere that is VERY inconvenient to get to.  Thanks!

mmsmom
on 8/13/15 9:41 am - Woburn, MA

You don't say how much you are eating...a 3 lb gain sounds like you're eating too much to me - don't minimalize it and give yourself permission to gain weight - carefully track your calories, fat, carbs, sugars, whatever it takes and figure out what isn't working.  Maybe you need to move more.  Hard to tell from the info provided.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Gwen M.
on 8/13/15 9:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you eating?  Give us an example of your daily meal plan, and we can try to troubleshoot.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 8/13/15 10:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You haven't done anything wrong and yes, you are over-reacting...but that's pretty natural at this point :-)  

You said it yourself - you're getting smaller!  That's success because it means you are losing FAT, which is the goal.  She scale is the worst indicator of fat loss.  Yes, it can tell you your overall weight but a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.  Women can retain half a gallon of water easily.  So even when the scale is going up, if your clothes are getting looser then you are winning the battle.  

It's FAT loss, not weight loss that's important.  Someone once told me that I could lose a quick 10 lbs. by chopping off my arm...but do I really want to do that?  LOL  You get the point 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Nina1119
on 8/13/15 10:47 am - CA
VSG on 10/22/14

Don't let this get you down.  There are so many variables that your body has to adjust to, for example your time of the month, weather conditions, sodium intake, they all play a role.  Your body adjusts and in time it comes off.  Its just hard when you are weighing often and anticipating the weight loss and you're disappointed.  It might help just to weigh in once a week and just know you are following all the rules that your doctor has given you.  Time goes faster too when you're not weighing but once a week. 

Surgery Date:  10-22-14, Dr. Monali Misra, Marina Del Rey, CA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views