I never want food again

msfitzy
on 9/8/15 5:20 pm
with

Today I started my soft food stage (3 weeks post-op).  I drank my protein shake at breakfast/morning snack (it takes me a long time to drink one).  At lunch I tried Greek yogurt but it was making me sick.  I don't like yogurt at all, so I thought it was just because of that.  Tonight I tried the Ricotta Bake that was suggested to me.  I measured out a 1/2 cup portion.  Before I even ate half of it I because extremely sick.  My stomach was cramping so bad I was almost in tears.  I honestly don't want to eat another bite of food ever again.  

Please tell me this is normal.  And how long will this go on for?  

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

David F.
on 9/8/15 5:47 pm - Henderson, NV

go back to the foods/liquids that you could tolerate. Some people take longer to heal and get back to normal than others. Stick with what your stomach can handle then slowly try to introduce the next stage at a later date. 

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

White Dove
on 9/8/15 5:59 pm - Warren, OH

It took me about three months

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

alouisa63
on 9/8/15 7:03 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

At 3 weeks out, the most I could eat was 1/4 cup of protein.  Same with the yogurt.  I had to blend cottage cheese to get it down.  I'm 5 weeks out now and still only do 2 oz protein with 2 oz of a soft veggie.  

It will get better soon :(

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

cappy11448
on 9/8/15 7:25 pm

I think you are aiming too high.  I could only eat less than 1/4 cup at 1 month post op.  just take it slow.  Go back to liquids if you think that will help. 

The first 3 months were not fun while getting used to my new tummy.  It slowly got better.  Eventually, I found a "new normal" where I feel like I can live this way.  But it takes a while. 

It is so worth it because it brings health and energy.  So hang in there.  It's not fun but it will be manageable.  You'll get to a better place.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 9/8/15 10:04 pm

Everyone heals at different rates. We're not always ready for the next food stage even if the surgeon's handout says we should be. Your sleeve is telling you you're not ready for soft foods. Take a step back to pureed foods for a few days to give your stomach a rest, then try soft foods again. 

As for how long "this will go on for," it may take up to 2-3 months before you feel fully healed and can eat normal food again. Then again, you might jump ahead and feel fine at six weeks. Be gentle with yourself and your sleeve. Now is the time for patience. Recovery is not fun.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Sandra F.
on 9/9/15 5:50 am

I was lactose intolerant for the first 2 months or so.  Perhaps this is your issue?

msfitzy
on 9/9/15 6:04 am
with

So I'm a little confused....I'm just now on the soft/pureed food stage.  Up until now, I could have only liquids.  Soups have to be strained of all lumps.  I know I'm not lactose intolerant (or at least I wasn't before surgery).  I wasn't sure how much I could eat, so I measured out the 1/2 cup because that was the portion size for the recipe and I had entered it into MyFitnessPal already.  When I stopped eating I measured what I had left and it was over 1/4 cup.  I was in agony for a good 30 minutes.  The mere thought of trying food again has me nervous.  I don't want to experience pain like that again.  Also, because of how I felt, I wasn't able to get in any more protein and ended the day with just shy of 40 grams of protein.  

I need to get up to at least 60 but if food is making me this sick, I guess I'm stuck with protein shakes.  Guess I need to wait a little bit longer to introduce food.  On the plus side, I definitely know I actually had the surgery now!

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

FuturePinUp
on 9/9/15 7:31 am

If you are in massive pain after eating 1/4 cup of liquid, I would definitely recommend reaching out to your doctor to make sure everything is OK. That does not sound normal and you certainly need to get your food in! Good luck!!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Luvmygs
on 9/9/15 7:33 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Three weeks your new stomach is still in the healing process, take it slow when you add new food. At 3 weeks I was eating puree foods. I didn't start soft foods until my 5th week. I went back and checked my journal and at 3 weeks I was eating cream of wheat, cream soups pureed and strained, sweet potatoes, sf puddings and pureed meatballs and gravy. Take it slow and yes, you will eat food again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views