SURGERY SCHEDULED!!!

suzyq584
on 9/9/15 1:25 pm

Hi,

I'm so excited!!  I just received my surgery date and time!  October 8th at 7:30am with a 5:30 arrival time!  This is REALLY going to happen!!  I'm not looking forward to the 2 week liquid diet but I will do it if it means a successful surgery.

I went to my final nutrition class this weekend and learned what I will be eating after surgery.  Doesn't really seem too bad (of course I may change my mind after about 2 weeks).  I also visited the hospital onsite support group and must admit...I like you guys a lot better!!!  It was nice to speak to people face-to-face but the support and knowledge I have gained from this site FAR surpasses anything "they" shared.

I am so excited to join you in this journey to better health!!

~Suzy

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/15 1:35 pm

Congratulations! I remember I was so excited when I got my date, too! Now, don't go hog wild and buy a bunch of stuff for post op. Some people have wild taste changes. Below I'll put a link to a great buy on Syntrax protein variety pack. I used them as a new post op because they were NOT THICK and easy to get down. Anyway, it has a bunch of different flavors. I'd suggest getting the variety pack ASAP and try a few to help you get an idea of what you might like post op. And since these are individual packs you won't waste if you end up not liking a specific flavor post op.

You've got a lot to look forward to!!!

Syntrax variety pack

suzyq584
on 9/9/15 1:53 pm

Ha!  It's like you know me too well!  I am trying to keep myself in check and not just buying a ton of stuff I may not even like.  I'm very interested however in the Syntrax protein variety pack.  It looks like they are a little lower in calories then my Dr. wants but I don't think that is an issue.  Here are his requirements in my post op protein shakes:

• 9 or less grams of sugar
  • 20 to 30 grams of protein (if 30 grams i only need to drink 2 per day)
  • around 160 calories

The Syntrax products are listed as 1/4 packet serving size with 4 servings in a packet.  If I total up the entire packet it comes to 0 sugar, 24 grams of protein and 100 calories.  Is it sensible to eat/drink the entire packet?

I really like the idea of them not being thick.  At the nutrition class I took over the weekend, we were given samples of Bariatric Advantage protein shakes and they were HORRIBLE!!! (They are meant for the 2 week pre-op diet phase).

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/15 6:18 pm

I always drank the whole package mixed with 8 oz of water. I really only used the Syntrax Nectar for about 2 weeks. I really liked that they were clear and tasted fine. Favorites for me were the Fuzzy Navel and the Lemon Iced Tea.

I had liked Pure Protein and Muscle Milk Light before surgery, but after surgery not so much. I finally settled on GNC's amplified wheybolic extreme 60 (chocolate flavor for me!) and mix it with 8 oz of unsweetened Almond Milk. It's 123 calories with 21 grams protein and 3 carbs and 3 grams of fat. I drink it every single day. Works for me. (I did not like the Bariatric Advantage shake at all. Never finished my first one.) 

You do really have to play around. GNC will take back any protein shake you don't like. They don't advertise it, but it's their policy. Also, a lot of people swear by Premier Protein. I have not had it, but know many, many who love it. It's a Ready To Drink (RTD) that you can pick up at Costco in bulk.

Pianolover
on 9/12/15 7:55 am

i've been using syntrax nectar religiously for 6 months. I have the big tub and do a full scoop and eyeball about a quarter of a scoop to make up 30 G of protein per shake. It makes it about 125 cals each which is great. i use the fuzzy navel and apple ectasy flavors. i also love that it is thin....i mix it with a fork and 4 oz of water to keep it thin and not chunky!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Sasha2014
on 9/9/15 2:24 pm
VSG on 09/21/15

Congrats!! Keep us posted!

Lissa_ND
on 9/10/15 1:30 pm
VSG on 09/02/15

I'm so excited for you! You will do great!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

Manndragorra
on 9/10/15 6:26 pm
with

Congrats on getting your date, almost a month after mine.  I was sleeved yesterday (9/9)! I just wanted to add to the protein drink suggestions. Shamrock Farms put out Rockin Refuel, if it is available in your area it's probably at Walmart in the dairy section. the are two versions but my doctor recommends the muscle builder as it has 190 calories, 30grams of protein, 9 carbs, lactose free and come in three flavors. Chocolate is by far the best of the three. Salted caramel and vanilla are the other flavors.

Best of luck with your surgery and three first three days of the liquid diet is the hardest.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views