Give it to me straight

msfitzy
on 9/16/15 6:56 am
with

So I'm a month out from my surgery and although the weight is coming off, it's coming off slowly.  I thought the first few months is when I would see the biggest drop in weight and that it would slow down as time went on, but that really hasn't been the case.  I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but that's hard not to do.

So, I'm wondering if I'm not doing something correctly.  I still struggle to get both my water and protein in a day.  I can get one but definitely not both.  I'm trying my hardest but it's just not working.  Tell me what the most important thing is:  water?  or protein?  Do I focus more on getting all the fluids in so that the weight drops?  Or do I focus on getting all the protein in?  I'm still working on getting in both, but in the meantime, where should my focus be?

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

FuturePinUp
on 9/16/15 7:05 am

How slowly are we talking? How much have you lost so far? A lot of people experience a stall at 3-weeks so that may be contributing, as well.

As far as food and water, what does a typical day look like, meal-wise? How much protein are you getting a day? Early in the process, water takes priority as you learn to add in healthy proteins. Are you on solids or still purees, etc.? When on solids, getting protein in becomes a lot easier. 3 oz of grilled shrimp have 20 grams of protein. 3 oz. of chicken has 23.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

msfitzy
on 9/16/15 7:56 am
with

I'm down to losing 1 pound a week.  And although that's good, I just thought the first few months were when you lost the most, the fastest.  So I was thinking that maybe I'm not putting the most important part first (ie water vs protein).  

On a typical day, I drink 1 shake (30 grams of protein) at breakfast.  That typically takes me from morning to lunch to finish, so I really don't eat lunch.  I drink water in between but rarely get in 1 liter of water (but my shakes do count to my liquid goals).  At dinner I have been having 1-2 oz of chicken salad or some turkey deli meat.  I will sometimes try and get another shake in but I usually only get 1/4 of it in before it just makes me sick.  I'm never hungry and unless I look at the clock, I don't even know it's lunch time.

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

FuturePinUp
on 9/16/15 8:04 am

This may sound crazy but you could actually be eating too little! Do you track your protein/carbs/calories? If not, I would highly recommend it. My plan called for me having 3 meals and day, plus 2 shakes to supplement if I wasn't getting a minimum of 60g of protein from food alone.

My first few weeks looked like:

B: 1 egg or string cheese

Mid-morning: Shake

L: 2-3oz lean protein

Afternoon: Shake

D: 3-4oz lean protein

You may want to set an alarm to remind yourself to eat. Prepping food in advance and getting into a routine both help a lot. My nutritionist stressed to me that this surgery is optimal for people who can eat 3-4 meals a day because it's imperative to eat at regular intervals to get nourishment and keep your metabolism going. 

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

msfitzy
on 9/16/15 8:25 am
with

I've been having a hard time with food and my dr said to limit my actual food intact to 1-2 ounces tops. I do track my foods and I can tell you that I rarely eat over 400 calories a day. 

FuturePinUp
on 9/16/15 8:41 am

At a month out, that seems really little. I would recommend speaking to a nutritionist that specializes in bariatric patients, as well as your doctor. If you are having difficulties with food, there may be something else going on.

The Cleveland Clinic (one of the most renowned bariatric surgery centers in the US) recommends eating no less than 800 calories a day at 1-2 months out, and onward, for maximum weight loss. 

MAchick
on 9/18/15 3:46 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I was at that many calories for several months. Fluids should be your top priority, with protein next. Don't rush increasing your calories, pay attention to your surgeon/NUT. It is so easy to get dehydrated, and when you are low on fluids, your body can actually retain a bit. I focused on sipping as my job, not guzzling. Find an easy to drink protein that will both hydrate and increase your protein. I preferred syntrax nectars because they were light and fruity. I also liked low sodium broth, tea, and SF popsicles.

I start my day with a glass of water, and end my day with a glass of water!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/16/15 11:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Drink.  More.  Fluids.  A liter is not enough, even adding in the fluid from your protein shakes.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 9/16/15 5:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 16, 2015 at 7:56 AM Pacific Time, msfitzy wrote:

I'm down to losing 1 pound a week.  And although that's good, I just thought the first few months were when you lost the most, the fastest.  So I was thinking that maybe I'm not putting the most important part first (ie water vs protein).  

On a typical day, I drink 1 shake (30 grams of protein) at breakfast.  That typically takes me from morning to lunch to finish, so I really don't eat lunch.  I drink water in between but rarely get in 1 liter of water (but my shakes do count to my liquid goals).  At dinner I have been having 1-2 oz of chicken salad or some turkey deli meat.  I will sometimes try and get another shake in but I usually only get 1/4 of it in before it just makes me sick.  I'm never hungry and unless I look at the clock, I don't even know it's lunch time.

at 5 years out, I am never hungry either. If I went by that, I would be dead by now. It is not an option not to eat just because you aren't hungry. How many times pre op did we eat even though we really weren't hungry?  Set your phone alarm and eat something every 2-3 hours,period. 

You should be able to get a protein shake down in abut 30. Minutes now. Try drinking it onthe way to work and make yourself fini**** before you get there. You don't have time to mess around drinking it all morning.  In 4 hours,you should have been able to get the shake in,plus a snack and lunch,then a snack in the afternoon,and dinner and another snack. 

You just have to do it.

Scott S.
on 9/16/15 7:44 am - TX

Congrats on your surgery!

Let's start with the positive.... you are losing!  That is what is important for most of us.

Slowly is a relative term.  Your slow may be someone else's fast.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  for most of us, the wight was added over time.  It will reduce over time.  Your body is different than everyone else *****ads this.  The weight loss will come if you work the system.  Patience!

You have to do your best with both.  You may want to consult with your NUT to see what is best for you.  My NUT always said my protein shake counts as liquid/water for me in my calculation.  I don't know if she was right, but that put protein first for me, with water second.

Have you tries a shot glass?  I used that in the hospital and drank one ounce of protein drink every 15-20 minutes.  Sip Sip Sip!

Good luck!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 375 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views