One week post op

Sparkly609
on 9/20/15 6:36 pm

hi everyone, I am one week post op tomorrow and have been on a clear liquid diet.  So far I have only been able to live off of sf Popsicles and water. I have tried eating jello but every bite hurts in the "I get the maybe gas like pain coming up my throat and have to burp", not severe pain but enough that I can't handle more than enough bites. 

On Wednesday I get to move onto full liquids to include protein shakes and creamy broths but I am worried that if I can't even handle jello I won't be able to handle getting anything down. 

I did also have a hernia repaired during surgery so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any thoughts or shared experiences.... Or words of encouragement that it will get better soon? 

Lissa_ND
on 9/20/15 8:01 pm
VSG on 09/02/15

Hi! I am just about 2.5 weeks post op. I will tell you that after the first week everyday things started to go down easier for me. From barely being able to sip, I now can take pretty normal drinks. Just hang in there it will get easier.

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

Sunshine411
on 9/20/15 8:57 pm

I am one week post op on Tuesday.  I had clear liquids first two days.  Third day I I was told to add a protein drink...to sip on between my three meals n try n drink 32 oz water,sf Popsicle sf jello.  My three meals are Two-four Tablespoons of hot cereal..I did oatmeal with two -three T skim milk...this was easy for me to take in so pretty much had same thing on day four n five ..tried the Greek yogurt at breakfast two T but caused a little tummy upset..so stopped n went back to oatmeal for lunch.  No problems with water...only pain I have had is where drain was sore...pulling pain...gets better each day.  Everyone's diets are different I see but I have had no problem going to bathroom I was worried about that...n I feel fine...can't wait to get staples out end of this week n be weighed.  I want to lose 70 pounds but would be happy with 60.  Good luck...

psychoticparrot
on 9/20/15 10:17 pm

Your surgeon's and nutritionist's guidelines for when you move from one stage of food to the next is not chiseled in stone. If, when you try full liquids, that you're having trouble with them, give yourself a day or two more on clear liquids, then try again. Make sure your bites of jello and sips of liquids are very small. Use a baby spoon if you have to.

If you still have trouble at 2 weeks post-op, call your surgeon. It's not likely, but you could have a stricture or other problem that's preventing your progress toward eating normal foods.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views