Walking

Sunshine411
on 9/22/15 9:17 am

1wk post op ...anyone walk at this point n how many minutes did you start at and how did you increase?  I figured I get my staples out Friday so I can start some form of exercise I like walking best at this point.  When do you start firming exercises like weights for skin tone?  Ty. Was neck er an exerciser prior to surgery so it will all be new to me.

Neesie57
on 9/22/15 9:42 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I walked as much as I was comfortable with the first weeks after surgery, about 2,000 steps a day.  Now I'm doing 10,000 at 7 weeks out.  My doctor said that I couldn't lift any weight more than 10 pounds until 6 weeks out.  So, I'm finally able to lift weights, but I'm keeping them under 20 pounds right now, so I can build up to what I was lifting before surgery.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

piscesladee
on 9/22/15 10:18 am

On thurs I will be 3 weeks post op. I started walking outside the day after I got home from the hospital. I started for 10 min and increased that each day. I am now doing the 10,000 steps per day. I bought a fitbit to keep track. I cant lift more than 20 lbs still. But I was given the go ahead by my surgeon to start exercising more at least 5-6 times per week. So I am doing my stepper and bike now too. I did not have staples on my incisions on my abdomen.He closed them with medical glue adhesive. They are healing very nicely.

psychoticparrot
on 9/22/15 12:21 pm

You're still healing from your surgery. Don't start an exercise regimen this early. Walk as much as it comfortable but no more until you see your surgeon again. My surgeon had two physiotherapists on staff, who were invaluable at suggesting the right amount and kind of exercise at the right time. If there are none on staff at your surgeon's office, ask him/her for refer you to a good one. 

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."