Protein drinks

Sunshine411
on 9/22/15 9:13 am

I am only one week post op and I get one shake a day to sip on in between the 3 meals ...I am suppose to have 30 proteins a day and my shake us 24 so I get the other six from the 2T of food I get at meals.  I want to know when I get to drink shakes as meals I love my protein shakes and wondered will it not be until more proteins are expected like 60 that I get to add a shake verses the food?  Ty

Neesie57
on 9/22/15 9:46 am
VSG on 08/04/15

That's a question for your doctor.  My first 2 weeks after surgery were nothing but protein shakes, broth and sugar free Jello.  I didn't get any real food until after that 2 weeks, and even then it was soft food for six weeks.  Every doctor has a different protocol, so you need to call to find out what they want you to do.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

piscesladee
on 9/22/15 10:25 am

Everyone plan is very different according to their surgeon and dietician. I had to follow a clear liquid diet for two weeks post op. I also had to be sure to have 60g protein per day and 64 oz of fluid per day. I am in the full liquid phase. At 4 wks post op I will be on pureed for two weeks. Then I can slowly add soft foods in. Mine seems like a very long process. But I am following all orders. You should talk to your surgeon and dietician to find out what they recommend.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/22/15 11:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Ideally, you won't be relying on protein shakes for meals, as they don't do anything to fill you up; as you heal further, you'll get most of your protein from meat, eggs, tofu, cheese, etc.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sunshine411
on 9/23/15 5:58 am

I thought the protein shakes did fill you up rap that's why they can supplement a meal a lot of people are using them twice a day for meal replacements.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/23/15 6:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Nope, it's liquid which means it goes right through your stomach, as opposed to something solid which will stick around a while.

Check out some of the daily "what are you eating today" threads. Once folks are healed up from surgery, you really don't see anyone using shakes for meals.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!