Probiotic

Sunshine411
on 9/25/15 5:12 pm

dr suggested today at my two week post op to start a probiotic...been having to run to bathroom Quite often in morning..he said a probiotic is recommended to help the intestines settle and do their job with the new stomach...read articles and said people who had wls who took a probiotic loss more weight than those who did not in study.  I don't mind taking one but would like recommendations on to name brand?  Ty.

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 9/25/15 5:50 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I was listening to "Dr. radio" this week and the doctor speaking recommended to try any of the more common brands and that they are all pretty good.

I have been taking Culturelle  for several months. As a bonus, I found a study that linked probiotic use in RNY patients being associated with higher weight loss. I did seem to notice a few more pounds drop off as soon as I started taking it.

Sunshine411
on 9/25/15 6:05 pm

I am going to buy tomorrow...do you have to take it at certain times...or without certain things like vitamin?  I feel like I pill pop all day...lol.  Two vitamins a day wait two hours n calcium ..then two more hrs n calcium n two more for third calcium n plus they have me on omeprazole first eight weeks n I take thyroid med first thing on waking up....crazy!

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 9/25/15 6:48 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

That is a good question. I am not aware of needing to avoid anything with it so I just take it in the morning with my first round of vitamins.

SilverGirl2015
on 9/26/15 8:20 am

Have you tried Activia?  You get your probiotics plus the protein/nutrition.  One less pill to pop!

Maria27
on 9/25/15 8:47 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

You must wait at least 45 minutes after taking it before drinking a hot beverage. My dietitian recommended trader joe's brand. It is about $15 for 60 tablets. The cheaper versions do not have enough organisms.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 9/25/15 8:53 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

Thanks for the info regarding hot beverages. That totally makes sense.  I will switch up my routine to avoid killing my organisms.

Neesie57
on 9/25/15 9:57 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My nutritionist told me that work better if you take them at night, so that's what I do.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Sunshine411
on 9/26/15 7:18 pm

Ty...like before you go to bed?  With food?  Do you take any other meds with it?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views