Post op 4 weeks out...when does energy return

Sunshine411
on 10/11/15 3:57 pm

i am 4 weeks post op n most days feel good but get short winded easy like after two flights of stairs...not everyday but most days. I have been walking 20 minutes a day but today and A couple days ago I got really tired like I might not be able to walk back to house ...not sure why I'm getting like this. I drink all my WATTERS daily and have been trying to get 60 proteins a day...I know I'm not suppose to track calories but I do and I'm getting 450-550 a day...someone suggested I up that to 650 which I could if I need to but I'm guessing my proteins would go up to 70 which they said was fine too. I don't know what's going on just feel a bit drained and I'm taking my vitamin,calcium,protonics and thyroid medicine daily. I know I still have some pain on the right side occasionally where drain was and stomach is but I was told that would take 6-8 weeks to heal. Any ideas? Suggestions would be appreciated like I said it's been twice this week most days I'm good. Ty

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 5:14 pm

Hi Ty, I am only a few days out from surgery and right now I have the opposite situation, I can't sit still and have lots of energy. I know that exercise makes me feel like I have more energy but if you don't have the energy to start that is a problem. Are you taking your vitamins that were prescribed? I know it is supposed to be normal the first few weeks as it is with most surgery. I don't think it would hurt to increase your food intake just to see if that helps. Everybody is different but if it continues you may want to have Dr run some blood tests, perhaps you aren't getting or absorbing enough vitamins? I have a cup of coffee daily, my Nutritionist said that was fine if you are not having acid problems, caffeine always gets me going. Since I am new to this I'd like to see what you do that helps as I may be in your boat soon. Good luck!

alouisa63
on 10/11/15 5:54 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

For me, the energy showed back up at about 6 weeks post op. Before that I had a hard time walking for any length of time, would come home from work and collapse, and had no energy for anything. Today I washed windows and curtains in the house! It will get better :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sandra F.
on 10/12/15 6:09 am

I don't remember exactly how long it took me to gain my energy back but I know that it was quite a while before I felt back to normal. You are recovering from major surgery and it will take a bit more time. Good luck!

lovingme9908
on 10/12/15 1:33 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

I was between 6-7 weeks before my energy returned. I was so tired, I barely had the energy to go to the bathroom! Instead of walking 20 minutes a day, try two 10 min walks. I found that once I personally increase my water intake (I understand you are getting plenty of that) and made broke down my walking into smaller chunks, I felt a little better. Good luck!

Cardamom
on 10/12/15 9:47 pm
with

i agree with the others. I saw a noticeable improvement around week 7 and then again at week 12ish(kind of where i am now..). Thecalorie deficit really zapped my energy for a while. I think part of getting my energy back was related to being able to introduce new foods into my diet.

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

Sunshine411
on 10/14/15 7:16 am

Thanks...I figured the low calories was the cause 350-500 for first few weeks I'm trying to get 600-700 now hoping this will help. You have done great...I'm four weeks out n have lost 21 pounds even...so hoping upping the calories n introducing new foods don't slow me down. I try n drink 64 oz water never make it usually 50 oz water n I don't count my shakes as liquid...some say they do I don't know? Thanks for your input...much appreciated.