Update - 6 Days Post Op

suzyq584
on 10/14/15 8:25 am

The boards have been on the quiet side lately. Maybe everyone is getting ready for the conference. I would be there this year if I wasn't so early out of surgery. Look for me next year though!!

Today is 6 days post-op and things are going well but of course, could always be better.

Could be better:

• Still reliant on hyrocodone liquid for pain. Tapering off since I am almost out but definitely still need something.
  • Energy could be better. Hoping for that burst I hear about following day 7.
  • Exercise - would like to be walking several times a day but pain and the October heat wave we are experiencing are making that difficult. I've been venturing out to stores daily just to get out of the house and to get some walking in.
  • No BM yet. Going to take milk of magnesium today.
  • Still sleeping on the couch due to pain when laying down/getting up. Going to try my bed tonight.
  • Lots of burping after eating/drinking anything (not using straws). RN says this is normal for this stage but will get better.
  • Not feeling restriction yet but RN says I will once I start "eating."

Good things:

• I have been off the anti-nausea meds since day 3 with no problems.
  • I am able to drink/eat warm/cold water, pudding, popsicles, soup, protein drinks, applesauce, yogurt with no issues.
  • I think I FINALLY have my meds and vitamin regime figured out!
  • WEIGHT LOSS! Yesterday I weighed in at 262.6 - down 18 pounds including pre-op diet. Down 5 pounds since surgery. (Haven't had a BM yet so anticipate a bit more of a loss when that happens).
  • Everything is getting better each day!!

Hope everyone else is doing well. I miss all of the usual chatter here!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Duetoprivacy
on 10/14/15 8:38 am

Sounds like you're doing really well- congratulations!

I'm on day 8, so I'll share my extremely limited extra experience with you:

• I had my first post-op BM on day 6, and it made me feel much better with regard to cramping and such,
  • The gas after eating/drinking anything is still going strong,
  • I am also still very sore at one of my four incision sites; my surgeon prescribed me some Tramadol to help through these days which I'm supplementing with Tylenol,
  • I'm also waiting for the energy to come back- I attribute some of this fatigue with not being able to sleep through the night,
  • I've been for a few walks but they seriously exhaust me- I am used to being an +10,000 step-a-day person so I'm kind of frustrated at being so very tired, and
  • Yes, everything gets better every day. Thank goodness.

That's all I've got, wishing you continued progress.

suzyq584
on 10/14/15 9:31 am

Hi, sounds like you are doing well too! Congratulations to you!!

A couple of my incision sites are pretty sore too. I guess that is to be expected since the main sore one is wear the surgeon pulled out my stomach!

Not sleeping through the night is definitely not helping our energy levels I'm sure. Can't wait for that full night sleep.

The weather is supposed to cool off next week so I PLAN to walk 3 times a day. I was getting a solid 8,000 steps a day prior to surgery and would like to get into a 10,000 habit before I go back to work on 10/27.

I just weighed today after my shower and although still no BM, am down to 259! VERY happy about that!

Hope you continue to do well! Do you move to pureed foods on day 14?

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Lissa_ND
on 10/14/15 9:40 am
VSG on 09/02/15

Hai Suzy!

Seems that you are doing good! I hope that pain stops soon for you, and that your energy gets better! My energy did get better after the first week, but I felt super tired until around five weeks out. Your weight loss is awesome!

I hope you don't stall but remember most of us do! So no worrying if you happen to.

As for Puree, I was on them the day after surgery... well my doctor put me on them but I didn't start them until about a week out. Couldn't handle them until then. Everyone's plan is different! Keep us updated!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

suzyq584
on 10/14/15 9:46 am

Thanks! Yeah...I am waiting for the dreaded stall. I didn't want to weigh everyday because I don't want to become a slave to the scale (this has been a problem for me in the past) but for these first 2 weeks I have to weigh everyday and watch for weight gain or extreme loss. At my 2 week appointment on the 22nd, I'm going to confirm that I can stop weighing daily and go to once a month.

Lissa_ND
on 10/14/15 10:12 am
VSG on 09/02/15

I'm trying hard to weigh once a week, can't imagine trying to only weigh once a month! That would be super hard for me

Well I'm excited for you! I can't wait to read about more of your journey!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

joanne0658
on 10/14/15 10:56 am

soooooooooooooo glad to see you post. before leaving for work today (in about 7 minutes), i thought i'd pop in and send you an email. even better seeing you were here.

may you have wonderful, calm healing and look forward to reading your account of your vsg journey!!!

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

suzyq584
on 10/14/15 8:39 pm

Awwwww...how nice to be thought about!

Thank you!

Luvmygs
on 10/14/15 11:09 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Congratulations! The first few weeks are tough and your RN is right, you won't feel the restriction until you start eating normal food. Just remember to take it slow, you're still in the healing stage. Keep up the good work. Christine

suzyq584
on 10/14/15 8:41 pm

Thanks! Yep...good practice for the normal food stage.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views