If you are on a liquid diet......

Nana08
on 11/9/15 8:22 pm

What did you have today?  I'm finding it hard to find something to have other than water, protein shakes and broth (it's so yucky)

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm on day 4 pre-op 

Lifesabeachwithvsg
on 11/9/15 8:32 pm

I've been on a liquid diet for 5 weeks, today was the first time I have had any "real" food! It gets easier, I promise. 

In addition to what you listed, I also had yogurt (you can add mil****il it's "pourable" if you need to) and soups (wonton without the wontons, tomato, butternut squash). You can add unflavored protein to the soup to boost the protein numbers. I used Unjury. Most surgeons also allow sugar free Popsicles, jello, and pudding if you want to switch it up. 

Kittygirl001
on 11/10/15 4:58 am - Canada

Luckily on my liquid diet (on day 7 of 41), I am allowed 2 cups of green veggies a day, so I get to chew a salad 1 time a day.  Other than that I only drink my Optifast and water and decaf-tea.  No broth, or anything else.  So yes it sucks, but the Drs know what is best for us, and by the looks of it every Drs pre-op diet varies, sorry you are having a hard time.  Have you tried changing the flavour of your shakes, I just started that 2 days ago and that has made shake time more exciting, haha.  Hopefully you find something to make this better for you.

Andrea,

Surgery Date: Dec. 16th, 2015

RNY 

Dr. Lindsay, St. Josephs Healthcare

HW:374, OPTI SW:365 (11/4/15), SW:332, CW: 198

Gwen M.
on 11/10/15 5:38 am, edited 11/9/15 9:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Oh, you're talking pre-op.  I was only allowed protein shakes.  So that's what I had.  5 a day.  Yum.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

paflyersgal
on 11/10/15 5:56 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Your struggle is real!! I thankfully only had a 24 hour liquid diet pre-op and than 2 weeks post-op. My liquid diet included, broth, cream soups with no chunks, yogurt, shakes, jello, pudding, applesauce, watered down oatmeal, cream of wheat, sugar free Popsicles and apple juice %100. 

Good luck! You can do it!!! 

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 7:02 am

Nana, I believe we had surgery the same day. I have been eating broth (which I find to be quite tasty now that I am eating only when I'm hungry and not out of boredom), sugar free Popsicles, protein shakes and drinking water that I have flavoured with sugar free flavour enhancers. Yesterday I consumed like 3 cups of chicken noodle soup "juice" and it made me a little sick (no nausea just an unpleasant experience on the toilet). I'm using the Premier protein shakes and I really enjoy them but prefer broth to those right now (even though I need to up my protein. Have you tried straining some soup through a strainer and drinking the liquid? You might enjoy that a bit more than just plan old broth. 

Best of luck - keep us posted! xoxo

Nana08
on 11/10/15 7:49 am

I keep saying preop but I'm post op !!!

Nana08
on 11/10/15 7:54 am

Was your chicken soup can or home made?  The caned has so much salt.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 8:25 am

It was the liquid part of chicken noodle soup from Central Market. I find the chicken bouillon to be excessively salty, but I just add more water. 

stacy T.
on 11/10/15 8:58 am - San Francisco, CA

If you don't have a broth you enjoy I recommend you get a jar of Better than Buillion. It makes a very tasty broth. Better than you will get with knorr or maggi or hansens.

It was developed for the restaurant trade and is really good. They have an organic low sodium version as well.

It makes a big difference.

Most Active