High Blood Pressure

bridgesg
on 11/10/15 9:58 am

I had VGS   June 16, 2015 and have lost 57lbs.  My glucose numbers are GREAT!,   I don't take insulin shots or pills anymore, however my blood pressure is still running high -- 160/84  -- 170/90  and sometimes higher.  Has anyone else experienced this?

psychoticparrot
on 11/10/15 10:45 am

Right after my surgery, my BP dropped into the bucket. Every time I stood up, I nearly passed out. I stopped taking my BP med (on my PCP's recommendation). Since then, I've had episodes of a few days of borderline high BP. My PCP asked me to keep track of it, and if it gets too high (SP higher than 140; DP higher than 90), I should check back with him. So far, so good.

With your SP much higher than 140, I'd definitely check with your surgeon or your PCP to see if it needs to be treated. That's pretty high BP you're talking about.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

paflyersgal
on 11/10/15 11:52 am
VSG on 10/06/15

I've never had high blood pressure my whole life. Then at my two week post-op visit my blood pressure was at 150/80. It's never been over 120.. But it's come down since and they didn't seem too concerned, they just said this needs to come down and sent me on my way. Check with your doctor. Good luck!

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 1:00 pm, edited 11/10/15 4:59 am

Blood pressure/hypertension, just like Diabetes, can have a genetic component. Losing weight does not always lower blood pressure. It's just one of those things we have to deal with recognizing as we lose weight. FYI - I didn't really see a profound drop in BP until I was close to goal and working out like a dog(weight training 3-4 days per week, cardio 5-6 days a week). Now being less active and a bit heavier, it's gone up. Still in the healthy range,

bridgesg
on 11/10/15 2:22 pm

Thank you Kairk,  your reply somewhat eased my mind.  I do think some of it is genetic, but I hope with more weight loss it will decrease.  What cardio you do?