TWO YEAR SURGIVERSARY

DeeNY52
on 11/19/15 3:28 pm

Hello fellow VSGers.  Sorry this is a bit long!

I had my 2 year post surgery visit visit today and all is well.  My journey has gone from 248 lbs to 154 lbs.  NINETY FOUR POUNDS GONE!  From size 20 to size 10.  From constant back pain to pain free.  From high blood pressure to 110/70.  And I look and feel better at age 63 than I did at 43.  You are never too old!

I know when I started the mandatory pre-surgery weight loss I liked to read on this forum stories from people who lost and who kept it off,  and now I am one of those people!  Yes, you can do it.  If you are wondering and if you are doubting yourself, yes, you can. I'm not special.

This is what works for me.  I use My Fitness Pal to log everything I eat.  Everything- even when I succumb to Halloween and eat 4 fun size Snickers.  Eat it and own it.  Sometimes when you have A craving it helps to look at the week and see that you've had that craving three days in a row and need to eat something healthy instead.  I also exercise.  I uses Leslie Sansone walk at home tapes and do 3-4 miles five days a week.  I can go up three flights of stairs at work in a flash with no huffing and puffing.

Protein first, then vegs, then fruit.  Starches seldom.  I do have treats - chocolate.  French Toast. Birthday Cake.  But NOT in my house.  If I'm out to dinner I eat dessert for sure (but my tiny stomach means my husband gets half of it).  Invited to a birthday party, I have cake.  In those situations I don't deny myself.  But I know if I buy calorie laden treats and have them in the house I'll eat them all at once. 

I guess what I'm saying is what most successful VSGer say- stay on your plan, exercise and never go back to those old habits. That's my mantra: I AM NEVER GOING BACK.  I want to be one of those old ladies running in the park, not one of those old ladies in a scooter who can't walk because she's too fat.

What I can say to you- whether you are just contemplating your surgery or if you are years out - you have a community of people like you.  We all struggle with food issues and we have all been or still are fat.  We all want to be healthy.  We are not bad, we are not lazy.  We are people who are honest and strong.  We know we have a problem.  We are trying to fix it and it's not easy.  We have hard choices to make every day, every meal, every snack. 

You can lose the weight.  You can keep it off.  At OH we are all rooting for you because we all have been there and we have all relied on each other.  Never mind the naysayers in your family, neighborhood and at work.  We are with you and we support you.  Do this for yourself and you, too, will be here on your surgiversary saying I did it and I'm still doing it!

Hugs to all!

Dee

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 3:31 pm - CA

I am not a VSGer, but I had to stop by and say Happy 2 year Anniversary!   You have done a wonderful job and have some great words of advice for others!   Congrats!!!!!!!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/15 4:29 pm

Congrats on your two years, Dee! Great message and very true. I think your insights are spot on! 

It's great to "see" you. Thanks so much for posting! 

DeeNY52
on 11/19/15 4:54 pm

Thanks, I've enjoyed your posts a lot.  I've mostly lurked on this site, but found it inspiring, fun and helpful.  I feel like so many people on here are friends I have not met.

psychoticparrot
on 11/19/15 7:03 pm

It's posts like yours that keep me strong. Thank you.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

cappy11448
on 11/19/15 11:00 pm

Congratulations on your 2 year surgiversary and your weight loss success.  This is a great post with lots of wisdom and encouragement.  Thanks for posting.  You are an inspiration to us all.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LS2dv8
on 11/20/15 2:16 am

Congrats  Dee! That is fantastic!  Thanks for being an inspiration!  It is great to hear success stories

LS2DV8

suzyq584
on 11/20/15 9:17 am

Congratulations and thank you!!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

lil1inside
on 11/24/15 7:57 am
VSG on 07/10/13

You are a remarkable inspiration for me to get back on track.  I've rebeled against the Fitness pal, but I can see the benefit to it.  Thanks to you, I'm going to look into it today and try and get back on track!

I'm just like you too, if I have this junk in house I will eat it!  VERY GOOD, sounds simple advice, BUT SO TRUE!

Congratulations!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

DeeNY52
on 11/24/15 8:55 am

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, I appreciate your support.  Know that everyone on OH is supporting  you and we all have the same goal- health and the happiness that comes form knowing we CAN control food.

Blessing to all this Thanksgiving.  (Lots of green vegs and turkey, just a smidge of stuffing and mashed potatoes ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views