Ever Feel Normal?

MaggieL
on 12/21/15 8:18 am
WLS on 11/17/15

I don't mean can I ever take big bites and eat a big mac.  I mean, does eating small bites slowly feel ok?  Tomorrow will begin my 6th week post op and every time I eat, I get this bubble sensation that feels like nausea but isn't.  Does it ever go away or is this something I have to live with???

cappy11448
on 12/21/15 8:29 am

I remember going thru a period maybe 2 or 3 months post op where the thought of food just made me queasy - not that I threw up,  just an unpleasant feeling when I thought of food.  It passed in a few weeks.

Yes, you will get to a sense of "normal" again.  It takes a while, but eventually you get to the point where you realize that you can live the rest of your life eating in this way, and it is OK!  For me, it was maybe 7 to 9 months post op.  But it did arrive and it feels FINE!  Excellent, in fact.

So hang in there.  It'll be worth the wait.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

MaggieL
on 12/21/15 8:33 am
WLS on 11/17/15

Thanks Carol.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/15 9:19 am, edited 12/21/15 1:31 am

Wow! Did you bring back a memory I had put out of my mind. At about 4 or 6 weeks post op when I was transitioning to real food eating was such a chore that it was stressing me out. I didn't feel well after I ate and my stomach felt queasy or semi nauseous, but it would pass within 5 or 10 minutes. I hated that feeling so much that I went back to liquids for a few days and started the transition over again. I added one food item at a time just to see my reaction to the new food. The new careful, more "scientific" approach really helped me make the transition. I learned there were foods I simply wasn't ready for, like vegetables. I couldn't add vegetables into my diet until about 3 months out. Up to 3 months it was softer proteins, shakes and yogurt. That's it. 

At 4 years out, I can eat any damn thing I want. The only thing that is not normal is that I don't have the same full signal. I had to learn my "I've eaten enough" signal because getting full is not a comfortable feeling and I like to avoid it, not only for the discomfort, but because I don't want to increase the capacity of my sleeve by over doing it on a regular basis. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/15 2:12 pm

Took at least a couple of months for that sensation to start to subside. By 4-5 months the feeling had pretty much disappeared. that said if I eat too fast and don't chew well it can still sneak back. Hope you get over it soon.

psychoticparrot
on 12/21/15 4:36 pm

You're still in the post-op healing stage when you and your sleeve are getting to know each other. You will get back to normal, but a much better normal. You'll feel contentedly full (not overfull) with a few bites instead of a big plate of food. And food will just as tasty, if not more so.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

rickjohnsonccrn
on 12/21/15 8:23 pm - TX
VSG on 11/03/15

I am 7 weeks out tomorrow and I experience that same sensation.  I'm glad to know its not just me. Somewhere in my head I thought I must be doing something wrong. I'm so glad to know that others have experienced this as well.  

Rick

MaggieL
on 12/22/15 11:30 am
WLS on 11/17/15

Even though it doesn't change what we are going through, it is nice to know we aren't in it alone.  :)

jalivia2
on 12/22/15 11:08 am - Spring, TX

I'm 8 weeks out and dealing with the same thing. Matter of fact, right now I am at my desk dealing with a bout of the foamies because today my pouch does not like thin sliced ham. I think it's all a learning process.  At least we're all in it together! :)

MaggieL
on 12/22/15 11:31 am
WLS on 11/17/15

Yes.  It is nice to know that what we are feeling is not out of the norm!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 74 views