Major Regrets

MaggieL
on 1/1/16 6:18 am
WLS on 11/17/15

I'm 7 weeks post op.  Prior to surgery, we did all the research and took 2 years to make the final decision to proceed.  I really felt I knew what to expect.  I have not felt well since the surgery.  I can't get the amounts of fluids and proteins down.  One swallow and I have to wait because of the uncomfortable feeling.  When trying to exercise, within 5 minutes, my stomach starts to flip.  While this sounds like a whine, it's really just a hard look at what I'm experiencing.  This is the hardest thing I've ever done.  I know that everyone's experience is different.  I wi**** was pain instead of being sick at my stomach all the time.  The doctor says it's normal and will pass...  I'm just at the end of my rope.

psychoticparrot
on 1/1/16 6:35 am, edited 12/31/15 10:39 pm

Major surgery often = major regrets. Some heal quickly after the surgery; others have a tougher time of it. Here's a copy of what I posted to another VSGer who is going through the same thing (just ignore what doesn't apply to you):

It took me two months post-op before I hit the bottom of the abyss of darkness known by the innocent-sounding term, "buyer's remorse," which is what you're experiencing. "Buyer's remorse" sounded so innocuous when it was briefly touched on in one of my pre-op classes. I thought, "Sure, there's going to be some pain and some adjustment. I can handle that." Hah!

Buyer's remorse should be revealed as the monster it really is -- a panicked, desperate, depressed, no-going-back emotional upheaval that can last for weeks. It's awful to go through. I know exactly how you feel. I was certain, at the time, that I had made the worst decision of my life to have the surgery. Absolutely c-e-r-t-a-i-n.

Here's what you do -- Take one hour, one minute, one second at a time. Do your best not to dwell on the "never agains." (BTW, there are no "never agains.") Just follow your plan: eat and drink what you're supposed to be eating and drinking at this stage, exercise every day at a level that's comfortable for you. Let your work or hobbies take your mind off its dark musings as much as possible.

Because here's the truth: You're still recovering from major surgery. M-A-J-O-R surgery. Your stomach is furious at what's been done to it and will take its own sweet time to adjust to its new form. This is a difficult process for most of us. For a few, it's excruciating. 

Here's another truth: You did NOT make a mistake having this surgery. You WILL recover. You WILL come to love your sleeve and what it will help you accomplish with your weight and your health. You're getting adequate nutrition with tiny portions of food because your body is drawing on its own fat reserves to supply the rest. If you're not taking vitamin/mineral supplements yet, your surgeon will soon have you on them. When you reach your goal weight, you'll be able to take in enough nutrition for your smaller body.

And a final truth: You will be able to eat salads again. Not huge salads, but smaller and equally satisfying salads. I try to have fresh greens every day. They're good for you! You don't have to eat meat all the time. There are other sources of protein to vary the meat routine: eggs, tofu, beans, fish. I don't eat much red meat at all. Most of my protein comes from eggs and seafood. I also eat fresh fruit and small amounts of starchy vegetables, too.

This will happen for you. I promise.

psychoticparrot

Edited to add: If nausea is preventing you from drinking enough liquids, ask (or demand if you have to) your surgeon for a prescription for Zofran or other anti-nausea med. Zofran enabled me to eat and drink appropriately (this after 2 ER visits) and sped up my recovery considerably.

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

MaggieL
on 1/1/16 6:53 am
WLS on 11/17/15

Thank you.  This past week has been extra tough.

alouisa63
on 1/1/16 7:02 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

You may not believe it but it WILL get better 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Kathy8429
on 1/1/16 6:53 am

It took me a couple months to feel halfway better. My surgeon called it "buyers remorse". I think the first several weeks my goal was sip walk rest repeat

cappy11448
on 1/1/16 7:13 am

The first weeks are hard.  It takes a while for the tummy to heal and start functioning again.  My tummy was so swollen for the first 7 weeks, that I could only eat 1 to 1.5 ounces per meal.  It started getting better after the swelling went down in week 7.  I hope you will see an improvement soon. 

Hang in there.  I think it will get better soon.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

rickjohnsonccrn
on 1/1/16 8:08 am - TX
VSG on 11/03/15

I am just 8 weeks out from surgery.  I had several weeks of feeling uncomfortable with anything I ate.  I went back a step to liquids and then gradually back to soft again.  It got me through the nausea. Zofran and Phenergan helped a lot too. The last couple of weeks have been fantastic so it does pass.  I wasn't sure it would but it did and I feel almost back to normal, at least my new normal.  I found that when I focused on how much better I was feeling physically ( no knee pain or back pain, sleeping better) my days were better.  I'm down 55lbs and much happier with my sleeve.  It all comes together I promise!  Hopefully this allows you to see there's an end in sight and then it's amazing!  You will make it to that point!!

Rick

White Dove
on 1/1/16 8:22 am - Warren, OH

Your post tells me that you are relatively young and that you have not had any or many previous surgeries before this one.

While each day gets better and you can resume most activities after six weeks of healing, it really takes a year to get completely over major surgery.  By next New Years Day you will be about 100 pounds lighter than before surgery.  You will have your strength and energy back.  Eating and drinking will no longer be difficult and you will not feel sick anymore.

For this year take it one day at a time and marvel at the overall progress you will make.

I was 59 years old and had several surgeries prior to weight loss surgery.  I knew to expect the healing to take time and I knew that my body would recover.  

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tiki3211
on 1/1/16 9:18 am

Maggie, I am just 3 months out of surgery and went through the same things you are going through....it gets better.  One question, are you taking Prilosec daily?  My surgeon just at my 3 month follow up released me from Prilosec.  It helps.  And as far as getting your fluids in....get in what you can.  I was never able to get 64 oz. Of fluid in a day...still don't, but it's getting better.  It increases...it's just slow.  It's ok to take things slowly.  Everyone goes through the regret stage...before you know it you will be loving this.  Exercise and me...I don't like it, but I do it....I waited until I was eight weeks out before I did anything other than walk.  I hope this helps.  Best wishes.

ubserved
on 1/1/16 12:16 pm

I suppose I was lucky, I only felt awful for a very short time. Like others have said, it will get better and once you hit that mark you will be glad you had the surgery. I know it will sound so far away but this time next year I am sure you will be doing a happy dance. Make sure you take your prilosec or whatever acid reducer your doc prescribed and any anti nausea meds as well. It's so important for you to get your protein needs in each day which will help in your healing. Good luck and hang in there.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views