Acid reducer for hunger? also, liquid diet question

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 1:12 pm, edited 1/6/16 1:32 pm

Hi all. I am on my liquid diet and I am starving :P If I were taking an acid reducer now, would that help with the hunger pains? I get nauseous and gag when I am hungry. Am I alone on that?

Second, I see that some people have to do 2 weeks of liquid, some do 1 week, some do 3 days, some do no days, some are allowed lean meat for dinner, etc. Why the differences? I am on 2 weeks of pure liquid, and eating 4 ounces of chicken at night would be GREAT. Does anyone understand the discrepancies between the liquid diet schedules? I have already been on a low fat, low carb, high protein, so I think my liver is good :P but then again, I am not doctor.

Thank you!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

suzyq584
on 1/6/16 1:17 pm

Hi, every doctor has his/her own plans.  It is best to follow the plan provided by YOUR doctor even though other people's plans sound more appealing. 

I was with you and had to do 2 full weeks of liquids only.  No chicken, etc...The reason my doctor had me do this is to shrink my liver as much as possible so that surgery could be as safe as possible.  Apparently nicking the liver is a real complication and due to excessive bleeding because of the blood thinners they will give you for surgery, you want to do all you can to shrink your liver!  

I CLEARLY remember my two weeks!  I am 3 months out now and will tell you that those two weeks were BY FAR the worst of the whole process.  You can do this.  Stick with it.  I promise it will be WAY worth the effort!!!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Tracy D.
on 1/6/16 1:28 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The only way that an acid reducer lessens your hunger pangs is if it's actually excess acid and not real hunger.  Since you still have a large amount of the hunger hormone ghrelin swirling through your system, more than likely you are actually...get this...hungry! 

So no, an acid reducer in your situation is not going to help...unless you are experiencing other signs and symptoms of reflux ie. indigestion, heartburn, food coming back up when you lay down, etc.  I'm sort of doubting the whole acid-creating-your-hunger rationale since you're just taking in liquids.  I think you're probably truly hungry! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 1:30 pm

That is what I was afraid of :P I suppose if the pill took care of hunger, we would all have just taken that instead of having surgery ;) Thank you!

suzyq584
on 1/6/16 1:37 pm

I just noticed your name!  Where in AZ are you?  I'm in the Goodyear area.  

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 1:38 pm

I am in Chandler :) Where did you get your surgery done? I am going through Banner Gateway out in Gilbert

suzyq584
on 1/6/16 1:49 pm

I had mine done at St. Luke's through the Bridges program.  I'm a self pay patient and they accepted my form of payment.  

LosinginAZ
on 1/6/16 1:51 pm

That is great! Congrats, you are doing so well! Keep it up :)

suzyq584
on 1/6/16 3:14 pm

Thanks!  Maybe one of these days we can meet up for a protein shake. 

Mamba
on 1/6/16 1:57 pm - Middlesboro, KY
VSG on 01/15/16

I can say for myself that acid reducer does nothing to help on the pre-op diet. I've been on it since the 23rd of Dec. My surgery is the 15th I've lost 20lbs but I've starved all the way! I just fixed grilled pork chops for the family and I swear they smell amazing. At the point I could lick the grill. But with that said, you got to buckle down and keep busy. I'm crocheting a blanket at the moment lol. It will get a little easier on about the 5th day. I'm on 4 protein shakes no 4ozs of chicken. I can have sf Popsicle's whenever I want. So consider yourself lucky to get that chicken!  

Betty Philpot

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views