one day post-op

timeforthis
on 1/12/16 5:40 pm

I'm one day pot-op & feeling pretty awful.  I'm sucking on ice chips & walking......I can't even imagine taking the pain med they prescribed, because it would go into my new sleeve....why do we get excited about this? : )

KatnMac
on 1/12/16 6:06 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

I've been thinking about you. So sorry you are feeling awful. Hopefully you are feeling better tomorrow! Hang in there.... A gal at work today told me the first few weeks are totally worth it and she would go through it all again in a minute to get where she is today. I know it doesn't take the pain away, but hope it raises your spirits knowing that it does get better.

psychoticparrot
on 1/12/16 6:31 pm

Major surgery has this annoying tendency to make us feel awful, especially in the first few weeks. Healing will take time, patience, and a lot of adjustments in the way you eat and how you think about food. Keep a good, positive attitude about your recovery while adjusting to all the discomforts surgery causes. It's a real balancing act, but it's one we all had to do. You can do it too. 

Keep going with the ice chips and walking. Staying hydrated is the best thing you can do for yourself in the next month or two.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Grim_Traveller
on 1/12/16 7:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Take the pain meds. Drink more. Then even more. The biggest reason people feel like crap after surgery is not drinking enough. Then walk, and drink some more. Every day you'll feel a little better.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

timeforthis
on 1/13/16 3:15 am

Thank you all for your kind responses.  I am working hard on this an appreciate all the collective wisdom here.    Sucked on ice chips throughout the night.  I'm trying to follow my surgeon's plan for today, but it seems pretty ambitious to me.  4 oz of something every hour, total of 24 ounces of protein drink.  I'm feeling nauseated every time something goes in my new sleeve, but I will do my very best.  Sipping & walking are my new full-time job : )  Thank you all for being there....

timeforthis
on 1/13/16 7:43 am

Starting to feel some improvement....yay.  I forced 1/2 a dose of pain med down & that seems to have helped.  I'm really watching the clock & aiming for 4 ounces an hour.  Plus walking.  Thanks for all your help....it's appreciated!

JudithJohnson
on 1/13/16 2:02 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

My doctor said to not pu**** too hard the first 2-3 days, I used to take a few sips every 10-15 minutes or so but don't get hung up on numbers!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/13/16 5:28 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

Glad to see you are feeling better. Plain water seems to have a chemical taste to me.. I do better sipping warm broth or water with a squeeze of liquid water enchancer

JudithJohnson
on 1/13/16 2:01 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

Welcome to the losers club! Well, it would be strange if you were a happy camper right after major surgery :)

I recommend taking the pain meds, I did it 3 hours after surgery without problems. Drink it and eat an ice chip afterwards to get that taste out of your mouth and it will make you feel a whole lot better. You got those pain meds for a reason, they wouldn't give it to you if it would not be ok going into your new sleeve :)

You'll feel better soon!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

timeforthis
on 1/13/16 3:22 pm

Thanks for the advice & encouragement!  Doing a bit better as the day goes on : )

Most Active