cash at the hospital in Mexico

lost-in-motion
on 2/23/16 6:54 pm
VSG on 03/22/16

So I was just informed by my contact at Dr. Ramos Kelly's office that the Hospital Angeles requires a cash payment or they change a 16% tax and charge a different exchange rate(17 instead of 18.5 per US $). Does this sound shady to anyone else? I don't want to travel across the Mexico boarder with that much cash. 

SilverGirl2015
on 2/23/16 8:01 pm

They probably prefer cash so they don't have to pay credit card fees.  I went through a US Facilitator who also incentivized cash.  I don't think it's that uncommon.

Sammy_85
on 2/23/16 11:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Do they not allow you to pay with a cashier's check? It is a guaranteed form of payment, essentially cash but only payable to the company/person you make it out to. They do it for you at the bank and the money comes out of your account at that time. I don't see why they wouldn't accept this form of payment. Maybe if you explain to them that you aren't comfortable travelling with that much cash, they'll let you pay with a cashier's check. I also had my sleeve done in Mexico and that is what I did. I hope you can work something out that you are comfortable with!

lost-in-motion
on 2/24/16 7:36 am
VSG on 03/22/16

They do but there is a 16% tax and a poor exchange rate. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 4:07 am

I had my payment transferred directly from my bank in the US. Ask and they may help you make other arrangements.

jakesmama
on 2/24/16 4:34 am
VSG on 02/16/15

Dr. Almanza and WLA had the same policy of a discount for cash.  I had my surgery in Mexico last year, took cash and had no problems.  It was a little uncomfortable though.  It might be worth the extra money if you are really leery of doing that.

Sandra F.
on 2/24/16 5:39 am

My doctor in Mexico allowed a cashier's check.  You should check into that.  I wouldn't carry cash if you can help it.

LisaP2016
on 2/24/16 11:04 am
VSG on 03/14/16

I'm having surgery in 2 1/2 weeks with Dr. Fernando Garcia and was told to bring a cashiers check.  

ubserved
on 2/24/16 1:33 pm

If it's a cash only, no wire transfer or cashier's check, I would find another surgeon, it's just too much of a risk to carry that much cash on you. 

KansasPrincess
on 2/24/16 1:51 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I HAD MINE DONE AT MBC W/ DR PONCE AND THEY HAD A HUGE CHARGE RATE SO I DID A CASHIERS CHECK

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views