Exercise to tighten loose skin, any advice???

dcapurz
on 3/23/16 9:13 am - NJ
VSG on 02/23/16

Hello everyone, today is exactly 1 month since my VSG. I am super happy and noticing the changes in my body every day. I am still on Pureed foods but that is ok, I try to have variety so it doesn't get boring.

I want to start exercising to tighten up some of the skin that is starting to get loose... I have lost about 33 lbs since I started this journey in Jan 2016. even though, its not a huge amount, it is a huge success for me and im excited to keep on losing and see the transformation.

I am looking for some suggestions on how to get my legs tighter and of course my core.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone who has toned up after surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/16 9:42 am

Hate to break it to you, but loose skin is loose skin. Exercise won't do a thing to help or prevent it. The amount of loose skin you have is dependent upon several factors: how long you've been obese, how much you lose, your current age, your genetics, and your skin type. 

What exercise will do is keep your muscles fit and strong during weight loss. Exercise will help maintain muscle during rapid weight loss. Your muscle mass will help fill out your skin and make it look less loose, wrinkly, and saggy. Exercise is great on so many levels, I encourage you to keep it up no matter what! 

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but it is the truth. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/23/16 12:12 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Exercise is not a sure fire to tighten loose skin.  It's a combination of genetics, age, how long you've been obese and sheer luck.

If the loose skin is going to impact you emotionally, start saving money for plastics.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/23/16 3:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Like the others have mentioned, exercise won't get rid of/tighten up loose skin. Loose skin is damaged skin. You can exercise your muscles & it might make the skin look less saggy but plastics is the only way to get rid of it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NANNY13
on 3/23/16 11:51 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Great job! You are on your way with a 33 lb weight loss already! P90X from Beach Body has some great core exercises in it. I notice some areas that I thought we would be crazy saggy are not that bad. I run about 5 days a week so my legs are really happy! I think if tend to carry your weight more in certain areas those will be the hardest to tighten and tone. My arms are not so happy! I have only been working with very small weights so I am being hopeful that I will have some improvement when I get more serious with my workouts. Otherwise I will have my Grandma arms.LOL!My stomach is no where as bad as I was anticipating and am noticing a change the more I work out.

Big_John_Stud
on 3/25/16 7:53 am
VSG on 04/07/16

From what I've read on the Internet and based on past weight loss experience, your lose skin may firm up a little over time but your age and genetics also has a lot to do with its elasticity. So the older you are, the less likely it will firm up even a little bit. Building muscle may help somewhat--maybe a lot depending on your genetics. For the arms, I'd do bicep curls, hammer curls, using a weight that you can comfortably lift  10 times for three repetitions, three times per week.  I'd gradually increase the weight because you want to build muscle. Try to max out once a week or so to see how high you can go, so you'll know when to take the weight to the next size. As for your abdomen, thighs, chest, try finding weight lifting exercises that will concentrate on those areas. Good luck!