Blood in urine?

slahera28
on 4/30/16 1:01 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

Sleeved on Wednesday and I noticed blood in my urine. Is this normal after surgery?

HW: 276 SW: 243.6 CW: 217 GW: 140

Ray R.
on 4/30/16 1:46 pm - Paterson, NJ

not necessarily, did you have a foley? sometimes there can be a little trauma at insertion.  Is bright red or dark red? was it a one time event, or has it happened more than once? are you menstruating? (don't mean to offend) If you are unsure, I would follow up with your doctor/ER if it increases in amount becomes bright red. 

slahera28
on 4/30/16 2:06 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

No foley. Dark red. I just noticed it this morning. I'm on birth control. I haven't had my period in a long time. I called the floor that I was on and she said that it could be because I'm not taking in enough fluids but I am so idk what to do. 

slahera28
on 4/30/16 3:57 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

I was thinking... Could it be the orange jello I've been eating?

Darcy G.
on 4/30/16 5:26 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Not getting enough fluids in, my urine has been very dark, and reddish in color. Are you actually seeing threads of red or is it just a diffuse red-brown, tea-like color?

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

slahera28
on 4/30/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

I guess it's more of a tea color. Looks red when I wipe. My mom suggested it could be the orange jello I've been eating. 

Darcy G.
on 4/30/16 6:21 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I think you're dehydrated. Orange jello isn't that potednyt--you're even allowed orangejedllo before a colonoscopy when red is forbidden.

Are you also feeling more tired, experiencing, increased heart rate... General weakness? Dehydration magnifies those already present postop symptoms. 

Also, do you ever actually feel like you have to pee, or do you just kinda go tho the potty to see whast happens? Low fluids in=Low fluids out.

Good luck, and there's no shame in needing to tho to the hospital or urgent care for IV fluids. I went today and even after the four cups of water that a bag turns out to provide, I barely felt the need until hours later and a still lackluster, unsatisfying tinkle!

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

slahera28
on 4/30/16 6:32 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

Thanks. Your response really helped. I do feel a little more weak than normal. I'm trying to get down a lot of fluids but I can only take down so much. 

Darcy G.
on 5/1/16 3:23 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I'm the same way--re:fluids. That's why I've gone to ER/Urgent Care twice since surgery for IV fluids. At a certain point, with the difficulty getting fluids in causing dehydration, it's just completely impossible to catch up/get ahead of the curve.

Don't be afraid to amk for help. Dehydration is the most common post-surgery complication for bariatric surgery patients. If you tell them when you had surgery, the insufficient amount of liquids you are able to get in,  the weakness and tea-colored urine... They'll give you those fluids, and they make things better so quickly. And it's been just under 2hours each trip for fluids for me, won't take up a whole day.

Finally, forgive the crazy typos in my posts the past couple days--I suck at tablet/Kindle typing!

Good luc****ep fighting for it. Things are bound to improve for booth of us soon, but right now, we gotta fight for it!

xo