Can I go Swimming after surgery?

Cherie K.
on 4/30/16 6:21 pm - Hong Kong

I'm used to taking my kids swimming almost every day and it just hit me yesterday as we are swimming that I may not be able to go swimming right after surgery (my re-sleeve is this week)... for how long might I need to stay away from swimming????

califsleevin
on 4/30/16 7:44 pm - CA

This, of course, is a question for your surgeon's staff, and they will no doubt give you the appropriate instructions, typically as you are checking out of the hospital (they like to wait until the last minute to spring these things on you!) Typically, they want you to wait until the incisions are sealed up before immersion in water, which by my doc's instructions was about three weeks, though since I still had a bit of seepage from one incision, it was four weeks for me.

It looks like sitting on the side and dangling your feet in the water for a few weeks....

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

obioxiupa
on 5/1/16 10:03 am

Calif sleevin is your profile pic a wire haired pointing griffon?

we have a 3 year old named Enzo.

Just curious :)

tara

califsleevin
on 5/1/16 10:23 pm - CA

Yeah, she is a griff named Ivy. She was about 6 months old in that pic and is now 4 and harried by her 14 month old cousin Sarah. I need to post a newer pic but theyre either moving too fast or are fast asleep.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

seabexlose
on 4/30/16 11:16 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

My doc said no baths or swimming for two weeks, but one thing I know from this board is that every surgeon has different post-op plans!

Darcy G.
on 5/1/16 3:35 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Ditto same instructions I received.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Neesie57
on 5/1/16 3:19 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My instructions were to wait 3 weeks before swimming.  I could shower, but couldn't immerse myself in water.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/2/16 5:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I think the general consensus from most surgeons will be no submerged water. This will soften the skin where sutures are and could allow them to reopen, possibly get infected or worsen scaring as the tissue would soften and have to work on regenerating/healing.

You would want to wait at least a few weeks to allow to close up and strengthen some.

Then I'd also be careful simply because your internal sutures will take longer to heal, and swimming (especially with little ones) can have you twisting all kinds of ways and you could really bother them.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

gibbygal
on 5/2/16 4:58 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I wasn't allowed to swim for six weeks.  I would definitely ask your doctor. 

Most Active