Week 2 and I miss chewing

slahera28
on 5/7/16 8:35 am
VSG on 04/27/16

Why is this month so hard??? Eating actual textures feels so far away. Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I'm going to a bbq and everyone will be eating around me. How did you guys push through your first family gathering not being able to eat chewy food?? 

HW: 276 SW: 243.6 CW: 217 GW: 140

emelar
on 5/7/16 8:48 am - TX

Fear.  Fear of doing damage to a freshly cut stomach.  Fear of hurling in public.  Fear of failing to stick with the program.

I feel for you, really I do.  Just try to make it about family, make sure you eat or drink whatever stage you're in before you go, and remind yourself after that that you will be able to taste everything in a little while.  Or, if you can, just make a guest appearance at the party and excuse yourself.  The immediate post-op time is tough, but if you make it successfully through tomorrow, it'll boost your confidence to no end.

Best of luck!

slahera28
on 5/9/16 6:50 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

Thank you! I had a great time laughing and enjoying family time yesterday. I ate my soup along with everyone else and had fun. Some people were more than happy to sit in the next room so I wouldn't be watching them. Which was nice and thoughtful. BUT the smell of BBQ was all around. BUT I SURVIVED! 

Thank you for your beautiful words. They boosted my confidence.

diane S.
on 5/7/16 12:45 pm

well things will get better when you are able to eat mushy stuff.  My surgery was 10 days before thanksgiving and i elected just to stay away and nap all day.   If you go, take your own stuff and don't let people push food on you. You can get a leak and thats very dangerous. gl diane  S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

slahera28
on 5/7/16 4:30 pm
VSG on 04/27/16

Thank you!! :)

Renren
on 5/8/16 10:32 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but I had such an urge to chew something that I got some sugarfree bubblegum to chew. I didn't like it, it kind of made me feel yucky. But it got me over the urge to chew something.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Steph Meat Hag
on 5/8/16 1:19 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I do agree with the above, bring something you do find good with you.  Then if nothing good shows up at the potluck you CAN eat then you'll have something.  If something good dose show up, that you can eat you can go for a taste.  Of course that advice comes with a bit of hesitance like sure you can eat whip cream but ... not a great choice.  You can however have some mashed potatoes with bbq sauce from the meat.  That's not a perfect VSG food (no protein) but if it's a matter of you feeling like your participating or not something like that might help.  Measure if possible, if not use a table spoon and try 1-2 of those at a time.   

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Dee R.
on 5/9/16 10:21 am - CA

I have my VSG 4 days before Thanksgiving.  I would have KILLED for some mashed potatoes.  I still went to the family gathering.  But, opted to not sit at the table.  I just chilled on the couch sipping my broth.  My whole family was super supportive!  Just remember it does get lots easier as time goes by. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 17 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views