Buyer's Remorse

amcz82
on 6/5/16 8:15 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

So I had my surgery last Tuesday (5-31) and I've been kind of up and down emotionally these past few days. I some times feel like I made the wrong decision and I'm really going to miss my old eating habits. I don't feel that way all of the time, but it hits me every now and again.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this for the first few weeks. I know they say it gets better, but it would be nice to hear from real people.

Kelly L.
on 6/5/16 9:14 pm

Hi, I wanted to reply to you even though I didn't experience this.   I'm sorry for what you're going through, but I think it is just probably the stage of food you're in right now.  Are you still on liquids or purees?   This too shall pass once you're able to eat more solid food I think.   Give it more time and be gentle with yourself.  Reward yourself with something like a new bag or item of clothing, something to make you feel pretty.   I hope others will respond with something more helpful!   Congrats on your new sleeve, it does get better!

amcz82
on 6/5/16 9:31 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

I'm still on liquids. I go to the doctor on Wednesday for my 1 week post op and am hoping I can move to puréed. I know that I did this for the right reasons, but when I see others eating something, even a carrot, I want it. I am going to make an appointment with my psychologist to talk about these things too.

Thank you for the response!

SassyAmy
on 6/7/16 7:55 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I hope your doctor lets you move on to purees--when my doctor told me I had to be on liquids for an additional week (I thought it was a 1 week stage, it was a 2), I seriously almost cried. I just wanted to chew something!

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Genie03
on 6/5/16 9:22 pm
VSG on 05/10/16

Hang in there, I had VGS surgery on 5/10/16 , and I felt the same  way for the first couple weeks, I thought " what did I do to myself? "I actually dreamed about food for the first couple of weeks!! It's been about a month since Sugery, and I finally feel like I have a little energy, and am not so tired all the time .I am getting out and walking about a mile 3-4 times per week , I am still on the full liquid, mushy food diet until June 17. So far I have lost 20 lbs since  surgery,started at 270 now down to 250 .. it feels nice to actually fit in some of my old clothes that have been sitting in my closet for years.My back and foot pain is gradually feeling better, and I am cooking healthier for my family. The struggle you are experiencing will be well worth it in the long run, I wish you success with your health goals. 

jenorama
on 6/5/16 9:35 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

There are definitely times when I wish I could eat like I used to, especially when at a fair or festival and there's all those crazy foods around.  Then I think about it and realize that it's much more fun to go on all of the rides than it is to eat food that is usually not as tasty as I thought it was going to be.  You will definitely need to come up with some new coping mechanisms now that you no longer have food to turn to in the same way.  As you move further out from your surgery and lose more and more weight, I think you'll realized you made a good decision after all.  :D

Jen

cappy11448
on 6/6/16 5:54 am

Hi,  Its not unusual to have strong emotions after surgery.  I've heard it attributed to the hormones that are stored in the fat that is being burned, which puts those hormones coursing thru our bodies.  So hang in there.  Its just part of the ride!

I occasionally grieve the loss of the ability to eat a big meal - mostly at thanksgiving and holidays where I see everyone eating huge platefuls of all these delightful foods, and I'm eating my 6 ounces.  But the up side of being healthy, and looking good in clothes, and being able to fit in an airplane seat and being able to take the strenuous tours when I travel - all outweigh any sadness.

I love my sleeve.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SassyAmy
on 6/7/16 7:56 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I'm with you on the big meal thing! At least if I take a little of everything, I can have all of the things I love and don't have to deal with the "ugh I'm so full and don't want to move" feeling after.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Sandra F.
on 6/6/16 5:55 am

It is hard the first couple of months, especially the first month, for your head to catch up to your tiny stomach, but it will get better.  I had a hard time with this too but now I'm used to it and so grateful for it.  This too, shall pass. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/6/16 9:19 am - MI

It's tough at first!! Check back in next month and I guarantee that you won't have buyers remorse. Take it day by day and follow your plan! Feel free to vent here or ask questions. I'm sure you'll be changing your mind soon! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views