Protein Shakes...foam issues??!?!

WatchKittyShrink
on 6/9/16 4:28 am
VSG on 06/15/16

Good Morning everyone! I am sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find any recent posts on this.

I am still in pre-op but am getting myself used to protein shakes. I admit I have texture issues with food already. I use premier protein vanilla shakes, and add pb2, and mix them with the blender ball bottle. Its so foamy that it kinda grosses me out. If I have issues with it now, I'm sure they will be worse after surgery because the stomach can't handle certain textures I am told?

So my question is; Does anyone have any advice on making these less foamy/fizzy?!?! Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/9/16 5:24 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Interesting, I wonder if its the mixture of using premier? When I have premier I drink straight from the little carton, but I am cautious to not overshake it (especially once I'm say 1/3 to 1/2 way through

Using a liquid (almond milk or milk) + protein powder in my blender bottle I shake it up, then let it sit for a few minutes. Once its settled a little bit I swirl everything around every so often to keep it mixed and sip away

Maybe give that a shot?

I did some unflavored protein powder + hot chicken broth in my blendtec blender, and THAT went into the sink drain because it was WAYYYYY too airy

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Bufflehead
on 6/9/16 5:26 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I use an immersion (stick) blender for my protein shakes and get zero foam. I switched because the foam from blender bottles and regular blenders post-op was unbearable. The immersion blender saved me.

alouisa63
on 6/9/16 6:43 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I too hate the foam.  You can mix it before you need it and let it sit in the fridge.  When you're ready to drink it, mix it with a spoon or a straw and it's fine.  

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/9/16 8:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I never did manage the foam with protein shakes. I ended up going for the non-dairy kinds, like Isopure and Syntrax Nectar, and those didn't foam nearly as much, especially when mixed with Crystal Light.

Texture isn't as much of an issue post-op as you may think. Some foods seem to cause trouble with many people, like scrambled eggs or dry ground beef, but most folks seem to do OK with shakes. Take it slow, see what works for you, and don't stock up on anything beforehand because you may end up hating it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SassyAmy
on 6/10/16 6:05 am
VSG on 08/05/15

You can handle Isopure? You're a better person than I, I can't STAND that stuff!

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Eggface
on 6/9/16 8:12 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Drink your shakes from a travel mug, the sippy cup sort of style... it will skim the foam. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Renren
on 6/9/16 12:04 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

If you use a straw without any problems, use one. It goes through the foam on top and the foam will break down before you get to it. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

obioxiupa
on 6/9/16 3:28 pm

I find PB2 to cause a lot of foam when vigorously shaken.  Try without the PB2?  Foam bugs me.

I use Chike powdered protein, I think its good, and not foamy.

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Giggles7840
on 6/10/16 10:57 am
VSG on 05/19/16

Im doing both, I make my own and i have ready to drink ones. I use Pure Protien and it doesn't foam up. Also there is this....http://orgain.com/all-products/ I have had the regular vanilla bean and its pretty good. I also am drinking the 25 g chocolate and its not bad if you can drink it fairly quickly. There for a while it was taking me all day to drink and the chemical taste would just kill me by the end of the day. I also picked up one of their super food supplements to add to my mix when i make it myself and its not too bad. None of these make a frothy foam when shaken. CVS and Target carries them. maybe pick a couple up and see if you like them.