What to Bring to the Hospital

honeywell
on 7/3/16 1:01 pm

Vets, what would be your suggestion to bring to the hospital for my stay? Besides the obvious necessities.

I'm already thinking of what to pack in my little bag for the 14th. I have a comfy, lightweight night gown, socks, undies, a very light sports bra (the at-home-bra), an oversized top and pair of loose pants for the trip home, slip-on shoes, a few toiletries, a book.

What else?

Thanks! 

Whatnow0621
on 7/3/16 1:43 pm

Funny thing, I bought all of that and other than the book. I didn't use any of it until I left that day. 

honeywell
on 7/3/16 5:05 pm

Knowing me, I'll do the same. Always overpacking/overthinking.

Renren
on 7/3/16 2:10 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I was glad that I brought a pair of super baggy shorts to sleep in so that I could get up and go for walks, and not have to worry about exposing my rear. Those gowns are open in the back,and it hard to put on a robe with the IV in your arm.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

honeywell
on 7/3/16 5:05 pm

Good idea!!!

Bufflehead
on 7/3/16 2:14 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

--extra long charger cord for your phone

--lip balm

Personally I would ditch the nightgown and socks. The hospital will supply gowns, just throw on an extra one facing backwards when you leave your hospital room to avoid accidentally flashing people.

The gowns are built to accommodate IV lines/poles, drains, and catheters, any or all of which you may have, your nightie is  not. Also, do you want to get oozing wound fluid or IV liquids on your own nightgown, or the hospital's gown? My vote was to let the hospital worry about that particular batch of laundry.

Also, consider just wearing the oversize top and loose pants to the hospital and then you can wear the same thing home. No need for two separate outfits.

Make sure that whoever is driving you home brings a pillow, like a bed pillow. You'll want to slip it between yourself and the seat belt, much less pain that way.

If you can, get your prescriptions all filled before the hospital so that they are waiting for you at home and you don't have to hang around a pharmacy when all you want to do is go home and sleep. You may have already got that planned out, just thought I would mention if not.

Good luck! Remember to walk as soon as you can! Also, after surgery, stay out of bed as much as you can. Sit in the rocking chair or glider in your room (if there is one) instead. Trust me, lying down in bed just makes things worse.

honeywell
on 7/3/16 5:08 pm

I think you're right. I'm going to save my gown for when I get home.

I do already have my prescriptions filled. My surgeon made a point to tell me to do it early! And, I have definitely made a note to myself to bring a pillow.

Thank you for your advice!!! 

SoCalDee
on 7/3/16 2:44 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

All good suggestions.

Definitely lip balm. Pillow for the car is a must. All I used in the hospital was hand lotion, deodorant and my toothbrush.

I didn't wear my own nightgown in the hospital but I did wear it home with my robe. The thought of putting a bra on for the ride home sounded hideous to me. I have one incision where my bra line hits and I didn't want the bra to rub it.

I had brought my iPad with me, never touched it.  I was either trying to sleep or up walking.

Good luck with your surgery!

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

honeywell
on 7/3/16 5:10 pm

I will be ditching my gown and just wearing it at home. My boobs...ugh. My boobs are so large that it makes me so uncomfortable to not have some kind of support on. I wear little cotton sports bras that aren't tight at all at home and I'm going to TRY to wear one of those just to make me feel less like...god, these boobs! LOL!

Thank you for your advice!!

Rothsteh
on 7/3/16 2:59 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

I brought everything. Phone, iPad, Chargers and I used none of it other than my phone. I was a zombie. And that was this past Monday ?  Much better now. It will be a breeze. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views