Ex Lap Bander interested in Sleeve

jeralandy
on 9/14/16 7:55 pm

Hi everyone, I'm James.

I had a lap band for 4 years that caused many problems. It slipped once, which was repaired, then it slipped again. My surgeon advised against another repair and suggested I have it removed. I had it removed in May of last year. I originally lost 50 lbs with the band and had kept it off. Now that it has been taken out, I have gained all 50 lbs back plus another 35 lbs. I now weigh 325 lbs, which is 35 lbs more than I weighed prior to having the band placed.

I briefly discussed having the gastric sleeve surgery with my surgeon but he said he wouldn't do a revision immediately after removing the band. He wanted to wait at least 6 months. Six months later, my situation had changed and I lost my insurance and my job, so I could no longer consider the gastric sleeve as an option.

Fast forward to now and things have again changed. I am now able to pay cash for the sleeve but I have questions and concerns that I hope someone here can help me with. My first question is, what is a reasonable price for the surgery? Also, is the price the surgeon gives all-inclusive? I've Googled for answers and have seen prices ranging from $9,000 - $20,000. If, for example, my surgeon tells me the cost is $15,000, does that include everything or will there be separate costs for anesthesiology, hospital, etc?

Also, is the sleeve a good option for those who have had difficulties with the band?

What are some caveats any of you can share with me that you wish you had known prior to having your sleeve surgery?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Anita
on 9/14/16 9:29 pm

Hi James,

I had my band removed in March and had sleeve surgery in June. I'm sorry that I cannot give you any information on the payment option as I was covered by insurance.

What I can tell you is that I'm happy with my decision as I feel much better.........down 38 pounds since June 6......I lose slowly, but that's okay as long as the scale keeps going in the right direction. The other thing I can tell you about the sleeve as opposed to the band is that when I've had too much, I'm done......finally learned that that one extra bite is going to do me in in a big way. With the band, if I ate too much I generally couldn't keep it down....with the sleeve, I just cannot eat anymore and that one extra bite always makes me feel uncomfortable enough that I remember it for the next meal....and beyond.

What I can also tell you is that you will get unlimited support here. I can't really tell you what I wish I knew before as I had asked lots of questions of the several people I know *****vised. Also had in-depth conversation with my doctor, so I knew what I was facing. What I suggest is that you don't discuss your decision with too many people as most people who have not had WLS just don't understand. I tell people that I had a hiatal hernia repair (which is the truth....done at the same time they did my sleeve surgery) and that I now follow an Atkins type diet ....and that it's working well for now.

Good luck in your journey......we're all here for you.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Valerie G.
on 9/15/16 5:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your questions are very good ones, and the answers vary, so make sure when you meet with a surgeon that everything is spelled out in writing on what the expected costs would be.  Mine did a self-pay all inclusive option that covered everything from the hospital to their services right through six months post-op.  This is not the norm, though, and that was more than a decade ago.

With your weight to lose, I would look at something more powerful than the sleeve, though.  50 lbs is a drop in the bucket when you weigh over 300 lbs, and if that's as far as you got with the band, you may not get much farther.  The sleeve does produce a small metabolic effect, which is often perfect for lightweights, but something like the Duodenal Switch will give you the best chances to long term success, and it too has a sleeve stomach, with more changes to change the way the body metabolizes food.  It's aggressive, but the most effective, especially on the SMO, and very easy to live with, so worth investigating before you go through this again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jachristmas
on 9/15/16 1:52 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I have no experience with the band but I am planning to have the sleeve surgery in the next couple of months and am self paying for it. The first surgeon I chose charged a fee for the initial consultation and then that amount would be deducted from the total of $15,500. That fee included the doctors fees, hospital, and anesthesiologist as well as the first 6 months of after care. However the nutritional appointments were extra as were any pre op clearance tests like ekg, sleep study, EGD, and blood work. I have health insurance (no WLS coverage) so they have coded some procedures in a way that insurance will pay for them (doesn't seem strange to insurance for someone super obese like me to need an ekg) Since then that surgeon resigned and I had to search for a new one. His fee is higher at $18,500, but that is a discounted price and includes more care than the other practice. And I have been so pleased with the process there. I will be having my barium swallow and psych evaluation next week. Anyways, each doctors fee will be different and they should provide you with a breakdown of what is and isn't covered in their program. Best of luck to you!

beelitehobbies
on 9/17/16 8:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

I had a self pay last year. Costs were similar to others discussed here. Worth every penny. And yes, it was all inclusive including 5 years of follow-ups in my case.

Great procedure but not a magic bullet remember.

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

jeralandy
on 9/18/16 6:55 am

Thank you so much for the information, guys. I'm going to call my surgeon's office on Monday to setup an appointment to go over my questions and concerns. I do feel like I'm making the right decision but I'm more nervous this time since I know this surgery is permanent and irreversible. 

Valerie G, if i recall correctly, my surgeon said that the duodenal switch surgery would be $35,000, and that's far outside the price I'd be able to pay. 

I'll be sure to post an update when I have one. Thank you everyone so much for your help and I look forward to many future discussions!

Anne O.
on 9/18/16 1:55 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

For $15,000, you could take a trip to France, get a sleeve and enjoy some sight-seeing!  http://www.france-surgery.com/bariatric/sleeve-gastrectomy/

Or, Mexico. I went to Mexico for my band to sleeve revision. It cost $7,000, not including travel costs. Going out of the country is a big risk, of course, but if you research thoroughly and carefully, your chance of a good outcome is as good, if not better, than in the U.S.  IMHO.   I had already paid out-of-pocket for a band ($17k in 2007) and was determined not to spend that much again - or more - for a revision. 

If you think that is something you could do, I'd be glad to help you start the research process. I spent a lot of time researching Mexican surgeons and hospitals. 

-Anne

jeralandy
on 9/28/16 4:01 am

I spoke with my doctor yesterday and he has increased his fee by 33% from $15,000 to $20,000. He did say everything is included in the price: EGD, pre-op bloodwork, surgery, hospital stay, and post-surgery follow-up. I feel like I can find a cheaper option but, at this point, I'm pretty disappointed and feel like giving up. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 2 replies · 41 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views