Clear Broth

Peeches
on 10/12/16 3:29 am
VSG on 10/03/16 with

I just learned about bone broth.  Upside:  it has a LOT of protein in it!  Clear broth has none or little. The chicken bone broth I had contained 9 grams of protein in one cup.  Downside: it tastes like bones

Lory

happyteacher
on 10/10/16 5:00 pm

If you happen to have a pressure cooker it is fast and easy! If not, same recipe, but made stove top for longer. 

1 whole fryer (or thighs, legs- whatever is cheap. Dark meat works great for this or even just leftover bones.)

2 carrots

1 medium onion

2 cloves garlic

5 pepper corns, whoe

salt to taste

Enough water to cover the chicken

All in the pressure cooker (or regular pot). High pressure 25 minutes, QR. Take out the chicken, and take off the meat for use in another dish. Carcas back in, and other 20-30 minutes at high pressure. Longer makes a darker broth. More water makes a light colored broth.  Stove top takes a lot longer, keep the pot covered. NR. Take out all the solids. Run the broth through a strainer. I put mine in a gallon sized mason jar, and put in the fridge. Once completely cooled you can then easily scrape off the fat. I get about 3/4 gallon of broth out of a chicken. The meat works awesome as a pulled chicken (shredded with bbq sauce), in a chicken and dumplings type recipe, chicken salad, sandwich meat, etc 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

takingarisk3825
on 10/11/16 6:12 am

tHANKS FOR THE RECIPE, I WILL TRY IT. 

psychoticparrot
on 10/11/16 2:37 pm

I make homemade dark chicken and beef broth for drinking and cooking. The process is a bit lengthy but not difficult. I'm using chicken here; substitute cheap cuts of beef and beef bones for a dark and flavorful beef broth.

1. On a large, shallow roasting pan, arrange in a single layer 3-4 pounds of chicken bones with a little meat and skin on them (chicken backs are inexpensive and work well here; wings also work). Scatter a peeled, coarsely chopped carrot, a coarsely chopped celery stalk, and a coarsely chopped onion among the chicken pieces.
  2. Roast at 425 degrees F for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring once halfway through, until everything is deeply browned and smells wonderful.
  3. Dump everything into a large pot or stockpot and add water to cover ingredients. Also add whatever herbs/spices you like. I like to add a few dried bay leaves, some dried thyme, dried sage, a few whole peppercorns, and a few chopped fresh garlic cloves.
  4. Bring to a boil. Lower heat until broth is barely simmering. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Set cover askew on pot and let broth simmer very slowly for 3-4 hours.
  5. Scoop out the chicken pieces and large vegetable chunks and discard. Strain broth through a fine sieve into a large bowl, discarding seasonings and other small bits left in the sieve. Season the broth to taste with salt and/or soy sauce. Cover bowl and refrigerate broth overnight.
  6. The next day, remove and discard the congealed layer of fat that will have risen to the top of the broth. What you have left will be a delicious, very low-fat broth. Heat a cupful at a time in the microwave whenever you want to taste "roast-chicken-in-a-cup." This broth also freezes beautifully.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views