Never feel full?

DakotaCJ
on 10/31/16 5:10 pm

I am 3 weeks in and on the stage 3 of the VGS diet. I never feel hungry, but also have never felt full. I have only had GERD once and it was from Chili. I do not eat a lot of food, and put it down early but shouldn't I have felt full at some point?

Is it because I have yet to do real solids and am eating moderate slider food (Chili -ground veal, scrambled eggs, cooked zucchini, tunafish)?

Any advice? Thank you in advance

Donna L.
on 10/31/16 5:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

After surgery the nerves to the stomach are severed in the process of dissecting it and forming the sleeve.  It takes several months for us to heal and regain restriction.  That's why it's imperative that we do not overeat and measure everything for some time.

Actually being able to eat red meat (veal) and eggs is a good sign three weeks out, if you tolerate it well.  Just don't pu**** :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

DakotaCJ
on 10/31/16 5:48 pm

Thanks Donna,

You always have great insight. I do tolerate most foods (that I have tried) except bacon. I didn't actually eat the bacon. It was used to wrap a 'cupcake' egg cup. Just the scent of the bacon made me green. Veal (ground), albeit red meat, was on my list of OK to have. It works great but you have to eat a lot to get real protein I think.

Thanks again

Donna L.
on 10/31/16 6:02 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My Harvey is a rebel sleeve.  I could eat red meat 3 weeks out, but eggs and chicken made me want to stab myself in the stomach.  I wound up doing liquids for longer.  I'm not terribly surprised in retrospect, because I think I "ate through" a lot of stomach discomfort via the binge eating disorder when my BED was untreated years and years ago.

3 oz of veal has ~21g of protein.  It's not awful.  That is interesting it was on the list.  I actually had pureed goat meat and I tolerated that very well close to surgery, too.  

You can also add protein powder to your food, in theory.  It just has to not be too hot or it denatures. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

DakotaCJ
on 10/31/16 6:24 pm

LOL on Harvey.

I am not sure on the veal. I will ask the NUT next week. It may be because I mentioned I eat so much ground veal (it has a lighter feel for meatloaf, meatballs, bolognese, etc). Or it could be that she said it is low fat and not as tough as adult beef. I don't know really but will find out. Regardless, I haven't been that hungry for it.

As for protein. Do you do whey or collagen?

rocky513
on 10/31/16 8:06 pm - WI

Collagen is an incomplete protein and will do nothing for you.  Whey isolate is the best protein and the easiest to absorb and it is also lactose free.  Many of us develop lactose intolerance after surgery. Whey concentrate is fine if you are not lactose intolerant.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

takingarisk3825
on 11/1/16 9:46 am

Hello ,

What brand of Whey Protein do you use? 

Gwen M.
on 11/1/16 10:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I use Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate.  It's not super sweet like most of the other chocolates I tried.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 10/31/16 9:25 pm, edited 10/31/16 2:26 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Actually that makes sense about the veal.  It's super tender since it's young beef.

As rocky said, skip the collagen.  It's worthless.

I use whey protein isolate and hydrolyzed whey now.  They are far easier for us to digest.  I just buy unflavored usually, though I have a penchant for Syntrax nectar's iced tea protein powder.  Hydrolyzed whey sometimes has a funky taste, but in theory it's the most digestible of all, but I think its rarely suggested since it's also very pricey.  Brands I like are that one, Isopure, and Optimum Nutrition's isolate.  

Gwen M.
on 10/31/16 5:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Right now your stomach is still recovering from surgery.  The nerves were severed and they need to heal.  Until they do, your stomach is a lying liar that lies.  In addition, most people don't feel restriction until they get to solid foods.  

This is why it's SUPER important to measure/weigh what you eat and then only eat what you've portioned.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 113 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views