Vitamin Help!

LisaV_SG
on 11/18/16 6:52 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Hi all! New to this site. My VSG surgery is soon, doing some research on which vitamins to buy. What are your favorites? Looking to purchase some that arent horrible tasting because they said for three months they have to be chewables. BLAH. Any advice on vitamins would be very helpful! thank you!

AK_Gipson
on 11/19/16 5:22 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I bought mine through baratricadvantage.com, I believe

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

psychoticparrot
on 11/19/16 7:43 am

I'm using PatchMD multivitamin and vit.D+calcium patches. I travel a lot, and slim envelopes of patches are much more convenient than lugging around jars of bariatric vitamin/mineral supplements. No yucky tastes to endure. I wear the multivitamin patch during the day and the vitamin D+calcium patch at night. Downside is expense, but the oral supplements aren't that cheap either.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/16 9:07 am
VSG on 10/31/16

My program dietitians recommended Flintstones Complete, chewable, and Bariatric Advantage Calcium chews.  The chews come in several flavors and I look forward to eating one three times a day.  They are a treat.  

psychoticparrot
on 11/19/16 11:22 am

Here's some additional information about vitamin/mineral supplementation that other posters told me about just a month or so ago. It turns out I was taking my vitamins all wrong!

1. Never take calcium and iron together: the iron blocks calcium absorption.
  2. If you take thyroid medication, you can't take calcium 4 hours before and after taking the med.
  3. If you use patches, wear the vitamin/mineral patch during the day and the vitamin D+calcium to avoid malabsorption from interactions.

There's probably more, but these points were the ones I needed to get the most out of my supplements.

psychoticparrot

Anita
on 11/19/16 11:43 am

it is my understanding (I could be wrong - I don't use the D/calcium) that with the patches, these aren't an issue. My doctor seems to feel that using both multi and D/calcium are not necessary for me, so it could be that my situation is different than yours. Either way...I love the patches!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Anita
on 11/19/16 11:47 am

PatchMD....pluses are that they are convenient, have not taste or after-taste and are easy to use.....especially if you have a bad gag reflex like I have and prevents me from taking large pills. Negatives are the cost, but with auto ship there is a 40% discount which makes it a less costly. I generally order two month supply at a time so that the shipping costs are also minimized.

All that being said, welcome to OH, best of everything on  your journey and be sure to come here often for whatever you need.. support, information, smiles, inspiration, etc!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Donna L.
on 11/19/16 1:26 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I just used the Optisource bariatric chewables, and now I just take the Costco ones.

I have decided I hate all chewable vitamins.  I wound up just holding my nose and eating them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

AD_Jordan
on 11/19/16 9:22 pm

I ordered some of the "RP" vitamins from Bariatric Advantage, but I don't like them very much.  The dietician gave me a sample of the Celebrate (brand) chewable vitamin in grape, and I'm thinking of ordering those. 

Tessa527
on 11/20/16 10:24 am
VSG on 11/15/16

I got mine from BariatricChoice.com.  THe multi and the Iron+C are not bad at all.   I received some free samples from Unjury.com that were quite good also. Good luck!

Most Active