Cereal & Oatmeal

diane S.
on 12/15/16 12:18 pm

My surgeon says not to eat this stuff. Too many carbs and takes room away that you need for protein. Even after getting to goal I stay away from this stuff. Some people at goal eat oatmeal but not cereal.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Gwen M.
on 12/15/16 12:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Your doctor is, indeed, giving you bad advice.  Post-surgery, I've had oatmeal once - it's my treat after shoveling snow.  Aside from that?  I stay away from these sorts of processed/refined carbs that have little to no protein value.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

takingarisk3825
on 12/15/16 12:28 pm

I will certainly stay away from them.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/15/16 12:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

NO NO NO NO NO!

No cereal, crackers, or anything like it.

The best rule of thumb is, everything you eat until you reach goal needs 10 grams of protein for every 100 calories. That's a minimum. 10 grams of protein for every 50 calories would be better.

Carbs are nothing but calories. You're trying to burn calories -- you don't need more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

takingarisk3825
on 12/15/16 12:39 pm

thank you GRIM

Donna L.
on 12/15/16 12:52 pm, edited 12/15/16 4:53 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Here are the biochemical basics of fat burning:

• The body will use fat if glucose is low.
  • All carbohydrate turns into glucose.
  • If glucose is eaten, fat will be used LAST, especially stored fat.  More frequently, it will never even make it to fat stores.
  • If glucose is not eaten, fat will be used FIRST.
  • Excess carbohydrate is converted to fat for storage, as is excess protein (in very high amounts).  This is done in the liver and is called de novo lipogenesis.

Also, insulin is the hormone that triggers fat storage.  Eating processed carbohydrate will stimulate more insulin production, which triggers fat maintenance/storage.  

Basically - eating cereal and beans is counterproductive.  Sure, on caloric restriction you will still lose weight, but you are making your body work twice as hard to do it.

If you need glucose your liver can make it on demand from protein and (rarely) fat substrates.  This is called gluconeogenesis.  Technically, you can survive without eating any carbohydrate.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 12/15/16 12:59 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Additionally, carbohydrate stimulates hunger.  Hunger is not eliminated with ghrelin reduction (btw we still make it in our pancreatic beta and epsilon cells anyway post-op even before the stomach resumes production).  Insulin triggers the hunger cycle.  If you eat carbohydrate in higher amounts again, you will be more likely to experience hunger sooner.

This is because hunger relies on many hormones other than ghrelin, insulin being one, and is also caused by a hormonal feedback loop involving the hypothalamus.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

akindofmagick
on 12/15/16 1:12 pm - MD

Donna L, takingarisk was sleeved on 9 Nov. Beans were recommended by my nut during that phase - and even now, within reason. They definitely help me keep my hunger under control: fill me up and last a long time. Can be mashed, too. I agree with you on the no carbs (absolutely no oatmeal, cereal, rice, potatoes, noodles, bread, etc.) guidelines, but I'd be in deep trouble without legumes. I regularly add 2 tbsps of edamame to my salads to help increase the protein, add black beans to ground meat (the kids put it in tacos), and I also enjoy hummous and carrots. I also make a wickedly thick split pea soup for these cold days!  Can't live on meat alone for protein, and protein drinks are no longer agreeing with me so well... JMO, tho.

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Donna L.
on 12/15/16 2:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I saw, yes.  It really depends on a lot of factors.  I have lost about 450 pounds total, (300 before WLS) and never have eaten beans, including post-op, for instance.

Edamame are soy, not legumes, actually.  I eat those, too.  I don't eat legumes at all, though.  Whatever floats your boat. :)

Everyone's biochemistry is different, and I am not saying people should never eat carbs.  However, it is my experience as both a counselor who works with bariatricans and bariatric patient, the patients who do the best at 5, 10, 15 years limit their carbs for life.  Can you be successful eating carbs?  Absolutely!  

I was just posting the science behind it, which is true regardless of our personal choices :)

Cathy H.
on 12/15/16 1:53 pm, edited 12/15/16 5:58 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I'm kind of surprised at everyone telling her to ignore her doctor.  Really?  Isn't the whole reason you choose your doctor/program because you believe in it?  

I have stuck religiously to the guidelines for my program, including that I don't get beans until next week...Phase 5, 8 weeks after surgery, when I also get to add whole grain pastas and bread if I choose.  During my soft food stage, I was told I could have hot cereal...oatmeal, cream of wheat.  It was a nice change.  Cold cereal I could have started last week for Phase 4 but I figured I might eat one or two portions, and it would be a waste of a box of cereal so I didn't bother.

For me, the lure of high carb foods died with my diabetes diagnosis, when I cut them out of my diet almost completely 2 years ago.  It's like anything else, though...in moderation, I see no reason not to have some cereal if you want now and then.  Part of this whole process is learning to control your urges and be the master of your body, not the other way around like it used to be.  

Best of luck to you, takingarisk3825...onward and upward!  (or I guess, technically, onward and downward! LOL)

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views