Cereal & Oatmeal

takingarisk3825
on 12/15/16 8:52 am

Good Morning Everyone!

Doctor says I can have cereal and oatmeal. Ive looked around and all cereals and oatmeal are very high in carbs.  If you eat cereal or oatmeal what kind do you eat? 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/15/16 9:23 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Your doctor is giving you bad advice-- it's best away to stay away from cereal and oatmeal and stick to protein.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Joshua H.
on 12/15/16 9:53 am
VSG on 10/26/16

My doctor gave me the same clearances (non-sweetened cereals, oatmeal, cream of wheat).  I haven't gone there yet.

takingarisk3825
on 12/15/16 12:26 pm

Yea, thanks for the advice. I will stay away from them.

Rachel B.
on 12/15/16 10:34 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I was eating oatmeal, and LOVE cream of wheat, but just haven't lately.  My mother has never gone back to cereal at all.  Of course, she eats a piece of bread with peanut butter and nutella every day  (She found cancer after the surgery :::LIFE SAVING:::, and since chemo, doesn't gain a pound).

I have been smelling 'brown & serves' all morning, and I have no bread in this house.  Dang brain...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

akindofmagick
on 12/15/16 11:18 am - MD

My nut recommended I stay away from these foods. I can tell you that I've had "protein oatmeal" (which I LOVE) maybe three times in the past 18 months, and I was sorry every.single.time - it caused carb cravings and a weight gain or stall that took days to get back under control. 

Instead: a quarter cup of black beans and a tbsp of cheddar cheese will fill you up for hours, and it's  full of protein. If you haven't tried it - check it out! I also add some chopped scallions, a dash of Chipotle tobasco sauce, and fresh ground black pepper. YUM!!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

sgg1002
on 12/15/16 11:29 am
VSG on 11/29/16

My program/NUT says I can have oatmeal/cream of wheat after 7 days, and I have had it twice in the past week.  Kicking myself because I am up 2 pounds on the scale as of today and feel like it won't be a good option for me, as I can't find it with less than 18 carbs in one instant packet.  Back to cottage cheese or a protein shake for breakfast, I guess!  I am 16 days out and down 10 lbs from surgery weight. 

takingarisk3825
on 12/15/16 12:28 pm

I will certainly try the black beans with all the fixings. I get tired of eggs, so something new is welcoming.

takingarisk3825
on 12/19/16 7:06 am

I will certainly try the black beans. I am scared to have bad carbs because I think it will trigger more carb cravings. I just want options for breakfast.

White Dove
on 12/15/16 11:28 am - Warren, OH

I am over nine years out and have never eaten any type of cereal since surgery.  I think of it as food for fattening up livestock or feeding horses.  It will cause cravings and slow your weight loss.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends