How do you break a stall?

newdonna
on 1/5/17 5:12 pm
VSG on 11/18/16

I have had two short stalls so far, 7 weeks in. But I know there are more to come, any suggestions on how to break them?

While I know what worked for you may not work for me and that it is part of the process, it is still nice to know what worked for some of you guys out there. 

Gwen M.
on 1/5/17 6:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Following the plan - eventually the weight will come off again.  There is no magic way to break a stall other than that!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Anita
on 1/5/17 6:51 pm

Just keep doing what your plan calls for.....lots of water.....get in your protein.....walk, etc. There's no magic formula....it will unstall soon.

In the meanwhile, what helped me was trying on clothes that used to be tight.....suddenly they became loose.....and the things that originally fit became huge and were hanging on me......I set aside an area of my closet to put the things that no longer fit so that I could donate them. It was interesting how on the times when the scale seemed to be stuck on a number, the donate clothing pile kept growing taller.

Hang in there....it'll start moving again.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/6/17 3:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You don't break stalls. They end on their own. There is nothing you can do.

I've seen people claim to break stall all kinds of different ways. Eating a Three Musketeers bar after a two week stall ended it. Eating popcorn ended a three week stall. Standing on one leg, barking like a dog, ended a month long stall. The truth is, by the time people get around to doing silly stuff, the stall was going to end anyway. It's just stupid coincidence.

Be a machine. Weigh and log your food. Stick to your plan like your life depends on it. Do that, and minor fluctuations on the scale mean nothing, because you will have accomplished your goals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 1/6/17 3:36 am

Not sure how you define stall. In my case in the first couple months only did I lose reasonably consistently, except during the 3 week stall part. After that though, I switched to a stair step pattern. This sucked, but it was just as effective. I would not lose an ounce for up to 21 days, and then suddenly drop 7-10 pounds in a 2 day or so span. Then nothing again for up to 21 days, rapid loss, repeat. The first couple months of that was rough- feeling like I was doing what I should and it not working, and dealing with the perpetual challenge of not falling off the wagon in the lulls. This is where MFP really helped me. I was using a scale at the time that automatically logged my weight, and I could check out the graphs there. It became super evident that I had a distinct pattern that fluctuated around my menstruel cycle. Once I realized that I was no longer beating myself up during the lulls and really learned to just go with it. With this said, I was not bull****ting myself that I was on plan but really wasn't. 

With that said, I did have what I would consider to be legit stalls every so often. I am one of the few vets that believe switching up your eating pattern helps with that. Nothing crazy mind you. It could very well be coincidence, but when I did it triggered a loss. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

rachelp
on 1/6/17 8:41 am
VSG on 08/01/16

It might just be how you lose. I drop 4 or 5 lbs (over night) and stay the same for about 1-1/2 weeks to 2 weeks. Drop and stay, drop and stay. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160