Terrified

Arbiter_Perigee
on 1/22/17 5:24 pm
VSG on 01/25/17

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to have found such a supportive community :)

Meghan704
on 1/22/17 3:52 pm, edited 1/22/17 7:54 am
VSG on 06/16/15

I can absolutely sympathize with you. None of my friends are obese and had no idea what it's like. I went through the vsg process a year and a half before I actually went through with it and backed out. I lost a bunch of weight on the pre op diet and thought to myself, "I can do this on my own" and I did for awhile until like every other diet I did, I eventually stopped and gained back more than I lost. Fortunately you have supportive friends, mine were constantly telling me not to have surgery, I didn't need it, I could do it on my own with hard work, I could die from complications, etc. eventually I weighed 331 pounds at my highest and those co morbidies started to creep in. I went through the vsg process again and never looked back despite what anyone said and yes, the same doubts came back the second time around too. Best thing I ever did for myself. I would do this over and over again, every year for the rest of my life if I had to, to feel and look as good as I do now. You won't regret it. I promise. 

Arbiter_Perigee
on 1/22/17 5:27 pm
VSG on 01/25/17

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear from someone who actually backed out and then went through with it, it helps me confirm to myself what I thought would happen if I did the same thing. I feel much less alone after making this post so I am glad I did.

Meghan704
on 1/22/17 6:42 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

No problem! Feel free to ask any questions if you think of any! Good luck in your decision!

rachelp
on 1/23/17 9:49 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I joined this site in 2005 while researching WLS. I ended up backing out and losing 125lbs on the Quick weightloss Center program. Loosing weight is something we all can do and have done many many times. This tool will give us a fighting chance at maintaining the weightloss. It's normal to have concerns and second thoughts before a life changing surgery. We are only human after all. I was actually calm and at peace with my decision the day of surgery. I researched the heck out of this site and prepared myself. I didn't tell my family or co workers about my surgery because they just simply don't understand. Most people can't relate. BUT here on OH we all can!!! I advise that you research this site as much as possible. I guarantee any question you have has been asked already. Use the search function top right. Good luck! 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Arbiter_Perigee
on 1/23/17 6:02 pm
VSG on 01/25/17

Thanks for your reply. I've been having a good look around the site, it seems to be a great resource.

Hiraeth
on 1/23/17 8:22 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

I completely understand how you feel; though, I wasn't afraid of the surgery (I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too brave for my own good, lol). It's normal to be afraid of this (yes, that makes me a weirdo, lmao). You are actually more at risk behind the wheel of a car than you are having this surgery. There is a VERY small chance of something bad happening.

So proud of you for doing so well on your pre-op diet! I didn't struggle on it either, so I guess we got lucky?

I must admit, I had this surgery because of health and wanting to look good. I always used to have a slender body up until a few years ago. Oral steroids are not your friend. Instead of promoting fat acceptance, how about you promote good health? Honestly, most fat people are not healthy. Even if they eat correctly, there must be a medical condition going on (PCOS, thyroid, etc.). But you can most definitely promote loving your own body. There are many women who eat correctly, with a healthy BMI, who hate their bodies.

I appreciate you coming out of your shell and talking about this. We are here to help! Ramble as much as you like!

I don't think I experienced any change in my emotions, except for an ex coming back into my life. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same. My confidence has definitely increased since I've lost over 65 pounds. I have a feeling that you will be the same. When you feel better health wise, you tend to feel better emotionally.

Hang in there, girl! We are here if you need us.

Arbiter_Perigee
on 1/23/17 8:29 pm
VSG on 01/25/17

Thank for your reply. It's funny you mention the car thing, I actually said the same thing to my mother today on the way to my pre-admission appointment. Turns out she is freaking more than me. I am feeling pretty confident about it now. The positive attitudes and supportive demeanor of everyone *****plied helped me feel less lost.

shelterdog64
on 1/24/17 11:09 am
VSG on 06/21/16

I wanted to add my support to all the replies you've already gotten :)  

I've known I needed to do something about my weight for at least 15 years...so I tried WW and lost LOTS of weight.  Gained it back plus more.  Did Atkins, same thing.  Exercised until I hurt myself.  Weight came back.  I'm now 52, 7 months post-op and I've been in this exact place before, 80lbs down and feeling like I'm on top of the world.  The difference is that for the first time, I think I've got a tool/program/support in place that will help me maintain all this work.  Before, when I lost weight, I knew I'd gain it back...every pound I lost, I knew I'd see again.  I've never felt this hopeful before and I'm so excited to get the last 30 lbs off and get to maintenance and kick some ass there.

For me, if I were in your situation, I'd have the hardest time reconciling my participation in body positivity/fat acceptance and having the surgery...I don't envy you having to do so.  I never even tried to like myself when I was fat, I felt weak and sick and couldn't wait to not be that person any longer.  That's a whole OTHER psychological problem, but I'm working on it :)

I'm new to this forum as well, it's nice to meet you and hopefully you'll find the support you need here...I'm really liking OH so far!

Arbiter_Perigee
on 1/24/17 3:54 pm
VSG on 01/25/17

Thanks for your reply. Welcome to the site yourself, I am also really liking it here :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views