Support VS. Agreement

landy
on 2/9/17 7:00 am

I've talked about my husband before, his concerns and disagreement with what I've decided is best for my health, the VSG. 

He has really stepped up his game on being supportive.  He still doesn't agree with it, but wants to be with me every step and give me all the support he can. 

Last night, he bought me 5 new journals for food tracking!    And told me he talked to our daughter about how I'm eating healthy and the best ways to help me.  He also talked about sabotage as he's very concerned he will do, but not on purpose.  They hid the donuts they bought the other day, so they wouldn't be on the counter where I could see them. When she's older (she's 9), I will explain the whole thing to her.  She is super smart, but I don't want to scare of cause her concern. 

Enjoy your day!

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

cappy11448
on 2/9/17 7:37 am

I think you are one lucky woman to have such support.  Best of luck on you weight loss journey

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Nura777
on 2/9/17 11:01 am

I have read your other posts and it reminded me about the optimism I felt pre op. I didn't ask myself serious questions. So got thinking and here are some intial questions you may have already considered. 

-        Are you willing to commit to blood work every six months/annually for the rest of your life. Are you willing to become an expert in your own health?

o   Messing with your internal organs isn't advised. It shouldn't be your first, second or tenth option. Regardless of what folks are saying, this isn't a tool that your buying from Home Depot. You're drastically altering the makeup of your gastrointestinal tract. You're altering biology and evolution.

-        Are you willing to accept that there is no absolutely no certainty you won't be the 1% percent with severe complications or the "whatever" percentage that ends up with acid reflux/gerd (**** is no joke) and rely on PPIs long-term that in turn have their own serious complications?

-        Are you prepared to accept these risks even if they interfere with your ability to work, and ear ore even the quality and length of your life? 

Take this as you may, it's not meant in malice. 

Notaboutperfect
on 2/9/17 11:40 am
VSG on 11/08/16

Such a thoughtful family!  They will definitely help on your journey!

Donna L.
on 2/9/17 2:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That is so wonderful!!  I have no doubt you will be quite successful :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/10/17 2:44 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

This is wonderful, Landy. He's a keeper who obviously wants the best for you!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Beth C.
on 2/11/17 4:42 am
VSG on 01/19/17

You will be surprised on your 9 year old and what she can pick up. I explained the entire process to my 6 and 12 year olds. They tried things I drank on my pre op, came to see me in the hospital and when I came home my six year old helped me set up my cupboard of protein powders. She is my taste tester and wants to be involved with all I am doing. Pre op she even went with me to work out with my trainer.. This surgery not only gave me my health back, it's giving me a way to teach my kids healthy foods vs junk.. 

as as soon as I'm on real food we have a whole Pinterest album for recipes to be our alternatives to donuts :) 

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

cconroy55
on 2/14/17 12:51 pm

Sounds great - my husband also didn't agree with my decision at first, but then he saw my determination and realized how important it was to me and became supportive.  And then saw the results and is now considering whether it might be the right answer for him too!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views