Help! 10 days post-op hunger sensation??

GAHP
on 3/17/17 8:43 pm

Hey everyone!

I am 10 days post op and even though I have not over-eaten (certainly feel the pain of fullness or eating/drinking too fast) I do have stomch pains that feel like hunger! I thought these would be gone, at least mostly, or at least this early on. I always just hear/read about people saying how they forgot to eat because they weren't hungry, even a year out! But I have been following the food instructions given to me (usually cannot finish the 4oz), drinking water, taking my vitamins, and eating every 3 hours- yet I ate at 9pm and it is 11:40 and I have been feeling hunger for about 1 hour! Post op I wouldn't even feel hunger this short of a time after eating. Can anyone explain what this might be about? It will be damn hard to do this if I feel hungry all the time. Someone please tell me this is normal and goes away....!

Donna L.
on 3/17/17 9:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hunger right away is often due to excess acid, which causes you to be hungry. It depends based on the person, though. What surgery did you have? If it's the sleeve, chances are it's acid. Best to consult the surgeon, though, to see what they think.

Some people also just get hungry post-op. Not everyone loses their appetite.

We also have many kinds of hunger: habitual hunger, chemical hunger, physical hunger, and psychological hunger. Psychological hunger does not go away, and it is something we struggle with. If it is not acid or physical hunger, it may be head hunger/psychological hunger. I would not discount acid, either. The stomach overproduces it after surgery since it isn't used to being teeny yet.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Erin T.
on 3/18/17 5:07 am
VSG on 01/17/17

In addition to the other suggestions you received, are you on solid foods yet? I felt hunger (or what I perceived as hunger) pretty terribly on/off until started solid food. Now I only feel it when I'm actually hungry or if the hunger can be explained (hormone driven, etc).

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/17 8:09 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I assume you're on soft foods at 10 days post? Lots of folks feel the same way. At 10 days your stomach is still swollen. Since most of what you're getting in now is liquids and soft foods, they will pass through quicker and you will feel more empty. Acid/Gas will make you feel 'hungry' because it's swelling your now empty stomach. If the dr. didn't prescribe an antacid, check with them and as what to take. That will help some. I didn't feel the full restriction until about 8 weeks when I started eating solid food. I understand from these boards that that is not uncommon. The other part is learning to identify physical hunger vs. psychological hunger vs. learning to feel satisfied with less. You don't want to have that 'full' feeling as a gauge. That was a learning for me.

GAHP
on 3/18/17 9:45 am
On March 18, 2017 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, AZLoser wrote:

I assume you're on soft foods at 10 days post? Lots of folks feel the same way. At 10 days your stomach is still swollen. Since most of what you're getting in now is liquids and soft foods, they will pass through quicker and you will feel more empty. Acid/Gas will make you feel 'hungry' because it's swelling your now empty stomach. If the dr. didn't prescribe an antacid, check with them and as what to take. That will help some. I didn't feel the full restriction until about 8 weeks when I started eating solid food. I understand from these boards that that is not uncommon. The other part is learning to identify physical hunger vs. psychological hunger vs. learning to feel satisfied with less. You don't want to have that 'full' feeling as a gauge. That was a learning for me.

I am not quite on solids yet. I started purees on Tuesday. Then soft foods until the end of the month when I can eat "regular" diet. I am thinking it may be acidity. I drank as much water as I could and that seemed to help with it. It just didn't feel like when I had been having a sour stomach at all, just straight up a hunger sensation. Even in the middle of the night. It is gone now. It is just so odd.

hollykim
on 3/18/17 3:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 18, 2017 at 4:45 PM Pacific Time, GAHP wrote:
On March 18, 2017 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, AZLoser wrote:

I am not quite on solids yet. I started purees on Tuesday. Then soft foods until the end of the month when I can eat "regular" diet. I am thinking it may be acidity. I drank as much water as I could and that seemed to help with it. It just didn't feel like when I had been having a sour stomach at all, just straight up a hunger sensation. Even in the middle of the night. It is gone now. It is just so odd.

if it is home now, I would say it was acid and you washed it out when you drank a lot.

also, eating carbs foods, even if on your plan eill make you hungry. Things like oatmeal,mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, fruit juice, all will make you hungry.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views