Linda B.’s Posts

Linda B.
on 4/28/12 3:28 pm
Topic: RE: Red Dress Pic Time
You look great and I think we are all enjoying watching your red dress getting bigger on you. Pretty soon, you'll have to figure out a way to keep it from falling off of you.
Linda B.
on 4/28/12 3:24 pm
Topic: RE: Job Promotion!
WooHoo, congratulations
Linda B.
on 4/24/12 5:22 am
Topic: RE: I canceled surgery :(
I'm so sorry to hear that even with insurance, you are not going to be able to afford your surgery. While you aren't going to have the VSG, there is a forum for non-surgical weight loss here on OH. I haven't been on it, but I see it in the forum list under "see more" on the weight loss related tab. As helpful and supportive as folks on this forum have been, I'm thinking you could connect with the folks on the other forum. I wish you well in your journey.
Linda B.
on 4/23/12 11:58 am
Topic: RE: NSV
NSV = a non-scale victory. It is so cool when they happen.
Linda B.
on 4/22/12 2:46 pm
Topic: RE: Nor Cal meet up May 19th!
We might not be able to make it Mike is supposed to chaperone grad-night Friday night. If he can get someone to take his place, we might be able to drive up, but right now, it doesn't look good. 
Linda B.
on 4/22/12 2:29 pm
Topic: RE: NSV
That is way cool, congratulations, great NSV.
Linda B.
on 4/21/12 11:44 am
Topic: RE: I'm in six months waiting, what should I eat?
I know it is hard to eat well when you live with people who don't. However, I had a dear friend who would always say "if it is to be, it's up to me." I think she lifted that quote from someone, but I don't know who. Anyway, my DH had VSG in December, and I have started eating like he does, just more of it since I still have a regular size stomach. I am in the process of jumping through my insurance hoops to get VSG as well. So, without knowing much about your background, here are some general suggestions based on what I would do in your spot.

If you can, buy your own healthy food and cook separately if you need to. If you can't use space in the family fridge, consider getting a small dorm style fridge for your room. Visit some recipe websites such as the recipe forum here, or eggface's blog. Most of these have food ideas that you can make, adjust the size, and use for taking your own lunch to work. Anyone could benefit from not eating refined carbs. Foods closer to their natural state are better nutritionally anyway. I know it is hard to break those habits while you watch others around you eating them. I have this issue with coworkers and students always offering me homebaked goodies, donuts, and candy. Everytime I turn them down politely, I feel a small sense of victory. Ask your NUT for a plan to help you, that is what they get paid for. It may be really hard to follow in your living situation, but if you want to make this change, take those baby steps and work it out. I know it isn't easy, but it will be so worth it to get healthy. One more thing, follow the advise of the vets on this forum, they have been there, done that. They are a great resource and we are all fortunate that they take the time to offer their wisdom. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Linda B.
on 4/21/12 11:23 am
Topic: RE: X post, OT, personal victory not weight loss related
Thanks everybody I am still asking myself if it is real. There were times I thought I'd never finish. Now, I just need a teaching job so I can use my new initials. Mike & I did celebrate our successes last night. Met up with some friends at Starbucks for skinny mochas. I am also taking the advise posted in the avatar of a poster on the forum (can't remember the name), I will not reward myself with food, I am not a dog. I keep reminding myself that as I work on changing habits while I am still pre-op. It will make life much easier as I adjust to post-op life. Thanks for the encouragement along the way.
Linda B.
on 4/21/12 10:56 am
Topic: RE: Formal thanks to Frisco, Elina, and Diane S
Well I see you are going to hit the outlets for some much deserved new clothes. You guys need to post pictures of the fun.
Linda B.
on 4/19/12 3:39 pm
I have never done anything like a massage or spa treatment before, but I think you are right, it would be good to unwind a bit.
Linda B.
on 4/19/12 3:28 pm
Well, after working at it for 11 years, last night, I turned in the capstone project to earn my Masters Degree. In the past, I would have rewarded myself with something like red velvet cake. But instead, I am going to reward myself a session of ice skating (I have to drive an hour each way for that) and possibly a facial or massage.
Linda B.
on 4/19/12 3:19 pm
Topic: RE: Things you want to do post surgery??
I want to be able to move off of green runs while skiing. I would like to have enough control to move to blue runs.

I also want to be able to do more than just ice skate forward, when I lose some weight, I plan on skating backward again, and possibly even spin again. It has been many years, and I'm not 20 anymore, but hey, why not.
Linda B.
on 4/10/12 12:48 pm
Topic: RE: Oh Frisco...or someone with a good salmon recipe
Oh, I forgot to mention, I grill my fish on my outdoor gas grill. I use a grill topper pan that I spray with non-stick spray. It has little holes in it so that the grill flavor comes through (I use a smoker box with wood chips) but without the issue of fish falling through the grill. This type of grill topper pan is also great for shrimp and veggies.
Linda B.
on 4/10/12 12:38 pm
Topic: RE: Pretty sure hubby doesn't "get me" right now...
Sorry I can't offer much help here except to say, even though we love them, sometimes men just don't get it. Hope things get better.
Linda B.
on 4/10/12 10:49 am
Topic: RE: The most beautiful picture I've ever taken - especially for the heavy weights...
Congratulations Welcome to onederland. I hope to be there someday too.
Linda B.
on 4/10/12 10:39 am
Topic: RE: Oh Frisco...or someone with a good salmon recipe
I know butter has a lot of calories and fat, but I mix a little melted butter with an equal amount of key lime juice and a about a glove of garlic minced. I brush this over the fish and grill. I will baste with the butter mixture until the fish is almost done.

I have also made a marinade using SF orange marmalade, a little minced ginger & garlic, a splash of soy sauce, and salt & pepper to taste. After marinating a couple of hours, I grill the fish.

I used to serve these with rice, now I use grilled veggies or quinoa.
Linda B.
on 4/9/12 4:12 pm
Topic: RE: Officially off diabetes meds!
That is great news, congratulations.
Linda B.
on 4/8/12 1:44 pm
Topic: RE: Date Night NSV- kinda long
It is good that you could work things out for a date night. It was great that Chick-fil-a strained the soup. I hear they have other options available for later on too. Egg Face posted on her blog that you can get a kid's meal with grilled nuggets instead of fried. You can get a fruit cup as your side, and take the milk home for later. We might be doing that when we go "down the hill" into a bigger city that has one. Glad you enjoyed you evening.
Linda B.
on 4/8/12 1:16 pm
Topic: RE: Small Crockpot
I have a large one that we use for potlucks and parties, and a smaller one we use for just us. We have my DH who is sleeved, my DS who is 24 & in college, and me, pre-sleeve. I think the smaller one is 2-3 quarts. We use it for chili, soups, stews, and roasts. DH likes a particular soup that the rest of us don't so we used the crock-pot to make it & froze the soup in small microwavable containers for him to take to work for lunch. We have done that leftover trick for lunch often. Cook once,eat at least twice. Or in your case, many times. If you choose a variety of recipies, you could have many meals planned ahead with minimal preparation. I hope that helps.
Linda B.
on 4/8/12 1:09 pm
Topic: RE: Kaiser Fontana, Calif.
That is good to know, thanks. I have a coworker who just get her RNY last week, but I haven't talked to her yet. St. B's website says overnight visitors are not allowed, but the video shown in class says you can have 1 person stay. She said she would ask for me. Her DH couln't stay because they have kids. But one of the things we really liked about Scripps was that I got to stay with him. We walked the halls together, and I was the one that would help him get up. I am hoping I get the same. I also don't want him to be an hour away, so I am hoping the video is the correct information. Would your daughter know the correct answer? She would be my hero if she could find out so we can start figuring out how to work out details when the time comes. If he needs to stay in a hotel nearby, I need to start saving for that expense too.
Linda B.
on 4/7/12 7:44 am
I finish my classes on May 24th. Then the waiting game begins. Please let us know how it goes at St B's, I am nervous about that palce. Of course DH got a COE hospital with staff specially trained in post-op care for WLS patients. I feel like he got the BMW and I'm getting a Kia. But, as a "lightweight" I guess I should be glad I even got approved.
Linda B.
on 4/7/12 7:35 am
Topic: RE: What to do when different doctors tell you to eat different things?
Well, I'm not a medical person, plus I am pre-op, but I've been trying to get creative with meals for DH who is sleeved. If you take lunch on the go, you could make the spinach the base for a salad with chicken, tuna, or shrimp. As for strawberries or other berries, what we do is crush them with a fork, add greek yogurt, then a little spenda or stevia as a snack. DH also adds a few frozen berries, cherries, banana chunks, or peach slices to his protein shake using the blender. He said it gives it some decent flavor and makes it more like a real smoothie. He also adds some fiber powder to the protein shake.  We haven't tried it yet, but we have some plain peanut butter powder that we will try mixing with a small amout of milk or water to kill any clumps, then add greek yogurt and use this as a dip for apple slices. I find great ideas on egg face's blog. Frisco also posts some great ideas for protein & veggie combos. I hope you find a way to work it out and still get that protein requirement met.
Linda B.
on 4/7/12 7:07 am
I'm another Kaiser Fontana future sleever. My DH had his surgery in December and was able to go to Pacific Bariatrics, hospital was Scripps. That is when there were three facilities with 7 surgeons, now, 1 facility and 2 surgeons. There are also more people being approved for the program so I know that is why things are moving so slow. I really think they should have waited to go "in house" until they had the hospital built and enough surgeons to deal with the number of folks seeking WLS. To further tick me off, I found out through others that different Kaiser regions have different ways of doing the options program. I guess we should feel fortunate that we only have to do 12 weeks of classes, others still have to do 24 weeks. Athough others see the NUT & Psych while they are doing the classes. So have they given you any indication of a timeline yet? Keep us posted. 
Linda B.
on 4/6/12 2:46 pm
Topic: RE: Help, my house has been invaded by matzah
Have a blessed Passover, and a Happy Easter. You are right, we should all focus on what these holidays mean to those who celebrate one or both. This year, our Easter dinner will be very different. DH has a VSG and a friend has RNY, the rest of us are working at making heathy choices. So, we will be serving a no nitrate ham, we will cave to sweet potatoes, fixed without sugary goop, then I will have small peppers stuffed with protein based fillings. We will not be making a desert, no need for one. So much for traditional food, but the celebration time is enough. Enjoy  your time with friends and family. That is what makes the celebration a blessing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 361 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views