Linda B.’s Posts

Linda B.
on 3/24/12 6:15 am
Topic: RE: Had a great time shopping today
Sounds like you had a great day.
Linda B.
on 3/24/12 6:14 am
Topic: RE: Rather than talk about our weight or eating habits...what do you do for a living?
I earned my teaching credential in Social Science a year ago, but haven't been able to find a job so far (I'm in CA). I currenty work as a coordinator for a charter school. It's kind of like an office manager, school secretary, order cleark, registrar, and teacher's aid all rolled into one person. Been there for 6 years.
Linda B.
on 3/22/12 3:20 pm
Topic: RE: This time next week...
Well, your time is almost here I know that because you are so prepared, this will be easier for you. Just remember to check the TSA website for up to date info on what is allowed in your luggage. You wouldn't want them to confiscate your chap stick or gas-x strips.
Linda B.
on 3/21/12 4:01 pm
Topic: RE: What is your favorite yogurt?
Don't mean this as a hijack, bit if you are looking for un-homogenized milk, you have a couple of options. Trader Joes sell a "cream top" milk, pasterized, bot not homogenized. You could also look for Sprouts or a health food store that sells raw milk. I by mine at Sprouts. I get the raw skim to cut back on fat, and it is not as expensive as the whole. They sell Organic Pastures brand. Hope that gives you some options.

And to the OP,  I like chobani plain, add crushed berries and splenda.
Linda B.
on 3/21/12 3:41 pm
Topic: RE: Free Food! A cathartic moment!
What a wonderful way to clean out the freezer. You helped yourself, and a single mom, much better than tossing it. As for not ever needing a freezer again, well, it does come in handy. I find that since DH can't have large portions anymore, we freeze leftovers for future meals. Once I get sleeved too, we will need that system even more. I find that the crockpot & freezer are helpful for cooking and storing heathy food, it has helped us break the fast food habit. Happy packing.
Linda B.
on 3/21/12 10:43 am
Topic: RE: Support and Surgery
I am so sorry he is being such a jerk. When my DH got sleeved in San Diego, there was a couple there at the same time, wife being sleeved and husband being a jerk. Instead of staying with her, he wasn't comfortable enough on the cot and went home. Just left her there, a few hours from home.

From a previous post (if my memory is working) you have Kaiser in Fontana. It can't help that they are so slow. Since they decided to go "in house" the process has really slowed down. DH went to support group last night and there was someone there who finished classes 4 months ago and is still waiting. I know that can stress you out too. Try to hang in there and start saving an escape fund just in case you end up needing it. If he straitens up and you don't need it, do something fun. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to put a few backs aside, even if it is just a few dollars at a time.
Linda B.
on 3/21/12 7:29 am
Topic: RE: Reminder: So-Cal meet up 3/31/12
Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it.
Linda B.
on 3/20/12 3:53 pm
Topic: RE: Hellp me make the best choice.
Well, being a huge BBQ fan, but one who is learning how to adjust pre-op, I would go with the brisket. Brisket is usually pretty lean which is why it has to cook for a long time over low heat. This makes the meat tender and flavorful, yet it is a lean cut. In fact, if cooked to quickly, it would be tough. Almost as good as ribs if cooked properly. Enjoy whatever you decide to order.
Linda B.
on 3/20/12 3:37 pm
Topic: RE: Cool Compliments
I would say that you also deserve congratulations. How cool
Linda B.
on 3/15/12 5:30 am, edited 3/15/12 5:30 am
Topic: RE: Spray for dry mouth
Any idea where I can find that Oasis stuff? I want to be prepared.
Linda B.
on 3/13/12 4:09 pm
Topic: RE: Unexpected NSV today!
I've posted a bit here and there, but I've been focusing on my capstone project for my MA. I'm almost finished. I also started my options program classes with Kaiser. This is required before any WLS. Eleven more weeks to go, then more waiting.
Linda B.
on 3/13/12 2:03 pm
Topic: RE: Hubby's Getting VSG'd Too!!!!!!!
That is great news. My DH decided on the sleeve, and I was sceptical at first. When I went with him to his seminar, I decided to do it too. At first my PCP wouldn't refer me as my BMI wasn't high enough. But when we met with my DH's surgeon, he encouraged me to fight for it. He said that with my HBP I should qualify. Also have some wicked stuff in family history. Anyway DH's surgeon said that the success rate dramatically increases when couples do this together. He said it is much easier to stay on plan when you work at it together. So, I requested a sleep study, and presto, sleep apnea was my ticket to VSG. I am now jumping through my HMO's hoops. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the same surgeon as my HMO is no longer using that group. Also, this surgeon is a reservist and has been deployed to Afgahnistan. I am stuck with one of two surgeons that don't have as much experience, and a hospital with an "interesting" reputation. But, I can endure for the goal. All of this to say, that as a couple, you can help each other and you will have a healtier lifestyle. It sounds like this is a wonderful thing for his health too. here's to you both rocking  those sleeves
Linda B.
on 3/13/12 1:41 pm
Topic: RE: Unexpected NSV today!
That is a great NSV. I'm also pre-op, but I think these shared victories are good for all to see. You never know how your story may encourage someone who posts, or even someone who lurks. Keep sharing.
Linda B.
on 3/12/12 1:43 pm, edited 3/13/12 4:03 pm
Topic: RE: So-Cal Meet Up - 3/31/12
That was worthy of It's a good thing bathing suits are not the expected attire, I'm still able to use those "whale" jokes. But not for long.  I should mention that a favorite professor that I studied with once said that when we can learn to laugh at our past, we can be more possitive about our future. He probably was quoting someone, but I don't know who.
Linda B.
on 3/12/12 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: My darn pants....
We have been hitting thrift stores for DH, since he is still losing, it is much less expensive. We will either freecycle or donate back what he shrinks out of. I'm saving for a shopping day once he hits his size goal. Then I'll have to start the same fund for me. My surgery is several months away.
Linda B.
on 3/12/12 1:00 pm, edited 3/12/12 1:00 pm
Topic: RE: So-Cal Meet Up - 3/31/12
I've never been to the SM pier, looking forward to it. I'm not at all familiar with the fun things to do around there, so those who are in the know will have to be our guide. DH and I are planning on it. So looking forward to meeting all of you, and the beach fix is a nice bonus. Oh, we are also coming from the high desert.
Linda B.
on 3/9/12 9:34 am
Topic: RE: Ruggie at GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, congratulations now you can say you are half the man you used to be, it is time for a happy dance and to celebrate . However you decide to mark this momentous occasion, make it memorable.
Linda B.
on 3/8/12 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: Ruggie T-shirt #19. Invader School by Threadless
I think this is my favorite so far. I was never really good at video games, but I was decent at space invaders. Thanks for the blast from the past.
Linda B.
on 3/8/12 4:45 am
Topic: RE: Asparagus stuffed chicken
Thanks Frisco, I'm trying out some of your food ideas over the next few weeks. I don't want DH to get bored and your posts have been so helpful. I start my options program at Kaiser tonight and I'm looking forward to joining my DH and the rest of you on the bench. Since he has been sleeved and we found this forum, I have learned so much. Much of it from you and the others that share your surgeon, you all rock.
Linda B.
on 3/7/12 1:04 pm
Topic: RE: Asparagus stuffed chicken
I took inspiration from Frisco and took photos of dinner last night. I made a chicken dish that turned out really good. I took chicken breasts, butterflied them and pounded them out. I then brushed them with pesto sauce, sprinkled on a little shredded Italian cheese blend, place 3 asparagus and then rolled them up. I topped them with more pesto and baked them with the remaining asparagus and some mini sweet peppers. Since I can't figure out how to post the photos on the forum, you can check out my profile, they are posted there. 
Linda B.
on 3/7/12 9:39 am, edited 3/7/12 9:43 am
Topic: RE: "Last Supper"
Best wishes and prayers for the surgeons steady hands and a quick recovery. I checked out your profile and saw that you are with Kaiser too. I start the options program tomorrow night. I have to drive an hour each way, but in the end, it will be worth it when I can ask you and the others to make room for me on the bench. My DH had a VSG in December, and if he were here instead of at school tonight, he would say sip sip, walk, walk, and more walking
Linda B.
on 3/7/12 9:27 am
Topic: RE: Employer is refusing time off for surgery
Don't quit! Now, that I've given that piece of advise, I also live in CA, there are even more rules employers must follow when it comes to medical leave. There is also the SDI that is taken out of our paychecks. I will look at the posters at work tomorrow to double check some stuff for you about FMLA, CA has even more rules on this. There should be a poster placed in a break room or other conspicous place where employees can read it. How many employees are at you company? If it is a small office that has multiple locations, the total number of employees is what matters. Also, contact your surgeon for an off work order, you'll need that for your SDI anyway. Submit this off work order to your boss or HR dept (keep a copy) and set your date. I am not 100% sure, but it is my understanding in the state of CA, when an employer is presented with an off work order, they must comply. If you do what is required under the law and she fires you, collect unemployment and get a lawyer. In case I can't dig this post up when I get home late tomorrow night (I start my required classes with Kaiser) PM me so I can let you know what I find out.
Linda B.
on 3/2/12 8:55 am
Topic: RE: OTjob interview update
Well, it was worth taking the shot, but I was not selected for the job. Yes, I am dissapointed, but I'm not going to go drown my sorrows in a hot fudge sundae. Instead DH is taking me to Starbucks for a skinny mocha. Before his surgery, and my desicion to do it too,  the sundae is what I would have done. I know things are tough right now for teachers here in CA, but I will just keep trying. Even though I feel like this  Thanks everyone for the prayeres and possitive messages.
Linda B.
on 3/1/12 1:35 pm
Topic: RE: OT: Officially a new Gmom today
Well first thing first...welcome to the grandparent club I tell you, it's a whole new ballgame. I have 4, the first one came with my SIL when my DD got married, then 3 more. One of the reasons for my future VSG is so that I can have better quality of life when I get to visit them. They are a 3 day drive, 1 way. Anyway, enjoy every moment you have with her. Oh, and you don't look old enough to have grown kids.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 67 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 320 views