Recent Posts

Topic: RE: BMI Calculators
 Hi there!  

Isn't it amazing that *we* have to find solutions to problems professionals face every day?  As in the calipers - brilliant, brilliant!  (I also have to love anyone who says orthogonal in her profile!) 

Has Aetna been a stickler for weight records?  Sigh.  I try to forget the overall idiocy of American style insurance and just provide.  

I might have missed it someplace -- do you have your date?  I'd love to know so I can cheer you on!

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

akindofmagick
on 8/13/10 10:10 am, edited 8/14/10 12:57 am - MD
Topic: BMI Calculators
Okay - I haven't been denied (yet) - in fact, my appeal should go in next week - but my BMI when estimated with the online estimators is in the Level 2 range (34-37%) for the past 3 years - and I was just FINALLY able to get an official 2008 weight for me today - unfortunately (!) I'd been sick when I went to the emergi-care place, so it was "only" 198!

And - I've been terribly afraid that my co-morbidities just aren't bad enough (yet) at that BMI to tip me over the edge for approval.

However, I'm short and small boned (not that you'd know it right now)... and the online BMI calculators just seem so rough: height + weight, no allowances given to sex, or age,  or build, let alone boob size!!  So - had an epiphany tonight and stopped by my old gym to see if they had calipers - they do, but also they had a Body Logic machine by Omron, which measured me (pause here for drumroll) with a body fat of 43.5!% and 90# of fat!!  (acckkk!!!)  The gym guy said it was at least as accurate as calipers.

So - NOW - I think - MAYBE???  I have enough information/evidence to get approval. IF the insurance accepts body fat instead of BMI???

BUT - has anyone else been successful with using an alternate BMI measurement device to get approval??

Excited - feeling positive for the first time in MONTHS!!!

Sheri (Aetna)

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Lucycat
on 8/13/10 4:38 am - Lewiston, ID
Topic: RE: Letter of Medical Necessity - samples needed!
Sheri,
I used Nan's sample and within 24 hours I had approval.  I tailored the letter to my medical information, took it to the doctor, he signed it and faxed to the insurance company. 

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in support of bariatric surgery for ___________.  She has had a life long struggle with obesity and has attempted numerous methods of weight management without lasting results for over six years that she has been a patient with us.  She has tried various weight loss methods, including Weigh****chers, Atkins, Liquid Protein shakes, GNC’s Release program, The South Beach Diet, Slim Fast, and the 6-week body makeover.  She has participated in exercise programs including two memberships with CURVES, the most recent membership started in January of 2009 and still participating.  ______has met several times with our dietician, and has followed recommendations for her meals.  She has lost weight in some of these programs only to regain the weight and more each time.  She has a strong family history of obesity, Type II diabetes, and heart disease.  At this time, _____is extremely committed to pursuing bariatric surgery.  ______ has been diagnosed with obesity, along with co-morbidities of Type II diabetes and acid reflux.

Her current weight is 235 pounds and height of 5’6".  Her BMI is 37.9.  In the past couple of years her weight has fluctuated between 216 and 235 pounds in our office.  I believe that _____ is extremely motivated and knowledgeable about bariatric surgery and committed to making this a lifelong change.  Her ideal body weight and weight loss goal is approximately 130 pounds.  She is currently taking several medications to manage her Type II diabetes, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, acid reflux and depression.   She has no known allergies.

I feel that ______ has exhausted all of the options available to her other than weight loss surgery.  I find this surgery to be a medical necessity and have referred her to ________, M.D., who specializes in laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery and offers extensive pre and post operative follow-up care.    

Should you have any questions regarding this recommendation, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Lucycat
on 8/13/10 4:33 am - Lewiston, ID
Topic: RE: Letter of Medical Necessity - samples needed!
Nan,
I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I have been dealing with insurance delays and finally a denial, with no clear explanation of what they needed.  I used your sample letter, put my information into it, took it to the doctor, he signed and faxed it to the insurance company and within 24 hours I had approval. 
Thank you so much.
Sue
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/10 2:44 pm
Topic: RE: BCBS ALABAMA TT Questions

Yes.  Thats how it works.  They may cover it, they may not. They may only cover part or a certain dollar amount. It may be specifically excluded by your employer.  Until you know whether they cover it and under what cir****tances you won't get very far.  
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/10 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: GHI/Emblem
Hello, I am new to the forum but I too have Emblem Health (GHI), I was told the same things for pre-surgery as far as BMI counts, nutrition classes etc however my concern is that I am told insurance will cover all three procedures RNY, VGS, and LB.  Has anyone tried this?  I keep reviewing and reviewing and I think VGS may be a great option for me so if I can't I'd rather know with certainty. 

As for checking with the direct I went to Emblemhealth.com and searched bariatric surgery and the list of requirements did come up.

Tnx for the help:)
trouble256
on 8/12/10 12:38 pm - Athens, AL
Topic: RE: BCBS ALABAMA TT Questions
so do i call them to find out?  I went to get an eye exam, and my glasses werent covered but the eye exam is!  ugh!  do i just call the number on my card?  will they consider this a "pre existing condition"
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
AndreaH09
on 8/12/10 12:40 am
Topic: RE: Finally!
CONGRATULATIONS!  All of your hard work has finally paid off!  This is great news!
HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

Jesse_James
on 8/11/10 1:47 pm
Topic: RE: Finally!
Congrats.  I had to get approved by independent medical review so I know exactly how you feel!
loose -- (adj)  not tight
lose - (verb)  to rid oneself of

Jesse_James
on 8/11/10 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: My ins co won't disclose pre-reqs to me
There's probably some sort of insurance board in your state that will advise you on exactly what they have to tell you and take care of the problem for you if they don't do it.

loose -- (adj)  not tight
lose - (verb)  to rid oneself of

Most Active