Why is water so important?

Keeves
on 1/23/12 1:25 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Why is it so important for US to drink so much each day? I understand that dehydration is a bad thing, but are we more likely to dry out now than before surgery?

Tiny pouches mean that we are less hungry than other folks, but does it also mean that we are less thirsty? That doesn't make as much sense to me.

I'm also curious how much variation there is in how much we should drink. Most of us seem to have been given figures like like 64-72 ounces per day from our surgeons. But I think that I can get by on much less than that. During week three, it was very hard for me to drink, and on a good day I might reach 50 ounces, but my urine was NEVER dark, and my surgeon said not to worry.

Any thoughts?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/23/12 1:33 am - Baltimore, MD
We are advised to drink as much water as any normal human being should drink in a day. So it's how much you SHOULD have been drinking pre-op.

Aside from that, high protein diets force the kidneys to work harder. Water helps your kidneys do their "thang."

Water intake is good for metabolism, helping you burn fat that much more effectively.

Water helps your body recover from physical activity.

Water helps your body process carbohydrates.

Water is essential to every single bodily function we have.

Yes, it's hard to get tha****er in at first but Rome was not built in a day. Keep at it. BUT DRINK YOUR WATER!!!
Mandi_1-3-12
on 1/23/12 2:30 am
Is it specifically plain water, or does a bottle of water with Crystal Light count?  Do other fluids count as water?
Paul C.
on 1/23/12 3:02 am - Cumming, GA
Fluids without Caffine are what count.  For each 8oz of caffine your drink you should do an additional 16 oz of non caffine
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
ShebasMom
on 1/23/12 2:50 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Before we had our surgery, it was recommended that our bodies get approx 64 oz of water/fluids daily. Now that we've had surgery and have pouches, it is harder for some of us to consume large volumes of fluid at a time to correct dehydration, so preventing it is better. Also, due to the decreased amount of carbs and increased proteins, it puts us in a state of ketosis, which is harsh on the kidneys. Keeping well hydrated will dilute the ketones, thus making it safer on your kidneys. Some nutritionist say only water counts while others say all fluids, including the water added to protein powder counts. I personally do the later, as my taste for water changed after my surgery.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

wendydettmer
on 1/23/12 3:08 am - Rochester, NY
also, food contains water in it as well. now that we get less food, we don't get that benefit. When I ate an apple, that was also helping to hydrate me. I don't eat apples anymore (soon i hope though!)

'getting by' on 50 ounces won't cut it in the long run. You are probably mildly dehydrated. Urine isn't always dark, it's just one potential symptom. I know it takes time to get the water in, but it should always be a goal to get at LEAST 64 ounces. I strive for more.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/23/12 11:11 am - OH
The comment about getting by on 50 ounces not being enough is NOT true for everyone.  I normally drink probably only 48 ounces of water and have NEVER had any problems with dehydration either pre-op or in 4.5 years post-op.

I am NOT saying that people shouldn't try to get in as much water as they can, but I get weary of people being told that they are going to have problems if they don't get in a least 64 ounces every day because it simply isn't true.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cheryl N.
on 1/23/12 3:21 am - Des Moines, WA
It's hard for me to ge****er down since my surgery because I can't stand the taste of plain water!  So I add some flavor to it

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

seattledeb
on 1/23/12 4:08 am
Also losing weight at this level is hard on your body..particularly your liver. It wants to  be hydrated!

Keeves
on 1/23/12 4:11 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Thanks, all!