ANyone else absolutely hate exercise? Lost 172 lbs without it

RainbowRN
on 8/20/14 4:41 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I hate exercising.  I had RNY 18 months ago and I have lost 172 lbs without it but now I am stuck!  I weigh 201 and I am DYING to see Onederland!!  I know that exercise is good for me but I just can't seem to make myself do it.  I know that I'm not going to lose anymore without it so i have to start. 

I am a nurse and I do work 5 twelve hour shifts a week and have for the last couple months.  We are moving next month and I have to buy several things for the move so that's why I'm working so much.  I am usually too tired to go workout. 

So, I'm going to join Planet Fitness.  What do you guys recommend?  Treadmill, eliptical or bike?  Where do I start if i want to burn calories to lose more weight, I don't want to build muscle yet.   How many days a week?  Give me some advice fellow RNY people! :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

mschwab
on 8/20/14 5:16 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I'm pre-op, but have started an exercise program in order to be as strong as possible for surgery, and to establish the exercise habit.  I'm with you.  I thought I hated exercise.   I started taking Pilates classes in April, and imagine my surprise to find out that I love it.  I like its focus on strengthening core muscles, building flexibility and improved balance.  When I started it I thought that there was no way I would be able to do the exercises, but I was wrong.  I can do them, and I am starting in advanced classes today.  I also walk on days I don't have Pilates.  I always have music when I'm walking.  Otherwise I get bored and don't walk as far.

I think the key is to find something you like to do, and then schedule time to do it.  I actually have to put exercise on my calendar, or I know I won't do it.  I will be joining a gym when the weather turns and walking outside becomes less attractive.  I also want to start yoga classes after surgery.

Believe me, this is so out of character for me that it's laughable.  Liking exercise.  Who knew it was possible?

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Gwen M.
on 8/20/14 7:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I really enjoy pilates too!  I wish I had access to a class more than once a week since I feel like I get a lot out of that class.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sandra L.
on 8/20/14 7:59 am

I would do a trial at a gym before you decide to join.  If you join and then don't like it you'll be paying for 6 months for something you don't like.  I know all the gyms offer a 7 days free.  I personally like Curves a great deal it was quick and easy I lost 25 lbs while I was going and I hate gyms.  Make sure you do something you enjoy or it will not work out.

Caroline K.
on 8/20/14 5:36 am

I don't particularly enjoy exercising. I don't mind the elliptical, since it's easy on my knees. Somewhat to my surprise, I find that I rather enjoy lifting weights, though I avoid dead lifts due to having injured my back doing them in the past. You may want to reconsider the weights--it helps build muscle, which burns more calories, and you'd have to really work hard to bulk up in any way. I find my weight loss always does better when I incorporate at least some weight training.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

karenp8
on 8/20/14 6:06 am - Brighton, IL

I don't love exercise but do enjoy how strong it makes me feel. I am two years out and lost to below my goal by walking almost daily and doing strength training three times a week. I have found that I can do so many things like planks that I could never imagine myself being strong enough to do. I haven't joined a gym but have a treadmill,bike and healthrider in my basement in my own workout room.

RRach
on 8/20/14 6:18 am

I love exercising. Personally, i like the treadmill. But when it comes to cardio equipment everyone is different. 

Also, building muscle is not bad. Muscle burns more calories. I wouldnt suggest bulking up but I do think you should so reps of various exercises with low weights to tone.

Good luck!! 

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/20/14 7:18 am

I LOVE exercise and I did it at 280 lbs pre-op. I am not sure what planet fitness offers but I love classes like bodypump (barbell lifting in a group setting to music), step and tae bo. I like the music, the people, the instructors.

With that said, treadmill is most like the easiest. The belt "helps" you so if you find it too easy, to get the perceived exertion of walking on land, use a 2% incline.

Since you havent exercised...I would start by walking on the treadmill once every 3 days. You dont want to overtrain (i.e. too much too soon) as you can hurt yourself (sprains, tears, fatigue) and give yourself insommnia. Overtrainning actually results in REDUCED gains. Like, you are working out and seeing NO results. That is over-training.

I would start by walking, see how you feel after 15 minutes, go for 10 more...do another self check.

Also, dont have unrealistic expectatons. At the age of about 25 (and 182 lbs) I decided to train for a 5K. I had to run a minute, walk 3 minutes. Run a minute. As a young, smaller person, I had no aerobic capacity.

Flash forward to my 30s. I am the fat person working out. I can do the moves. Not as fast and furious as other tae bo'ers but I am doing them

Flash forward to 37, I am now 178 (after surgery). I think back to how I had to train to do a 5K in my 20s. I wondered what my fitness was and gave it a whirl. 4.2 miles later, I finally got tired and winded.  I ran 4.2 miles without "training for it"  My post surgery/gym class going 30 year old self was in better aerobic shape than my 20 something self.

I marveled at that.

And tomorrow I got a long run of 6 miles.

But I would have never believe that it could have happened even 9 months ago.

Good luck. Have FUN with exercise. Bring along good music. Get motivated. Let your mind wander, dream, fantasize adn ruminate. My running time is truly the only "me" time I get most days.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Gwen M.
on 8/20/14 7:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Really great advice about easing into it!  I started walking 5 minutes a day and then increased by 5 minutes until I could do 60 minutes.  Then I worked on increasing my speed, .1mph at a time.  Then I started adding in running intervals at 15 seconds out of every 5 minutes.  Now I'm able to run 60 seconds out of every 2.5 minutes!  Slow progress, to be sure, but I've avoided injury and shin splints.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SkinnyScientist
on 8/21/14 12:48 am

Indeed. An overuse injury (or any injury) can put one on the couch for 3 weeks or more. Is it better to start slow, and work up to it and be able to do it consistently. Or better to "go like hell" ONCE and be on the couch for 3 weeks?

I totally pick slow and steady

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 54 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views