To tell or not to tell?

terrapin16
on 10/28/11 11:44 am - CO
Those of you who have had your surgery during a time you were/are working, did you told people you work with what's going on?  How was the liquid diet before and after when you were at work?  When you did come back after the surgery, if no one knew beforehand, could they tell afterwards?

Just curious how work fits into this whole journey.
newme2011-2012
on 10/28/11 12:13 pm
I don't work with anyone as I have my own business.
I am a hairdresser and my salon is at my house.
So I have chosen NOT to tell anyone except for 2 friends, and my family (hubby and 2 teenage girls)
My customers think I am going out of town for a hair show. As far as after for me..I have lost quite a bit of weight before and I am just going to say that I am finally putting myself first again.. I chose not to tell because I really don't want everyones opinon or horror stories of someone they knew who had this or that..blah..blah.. I'm not sure if I will tell down the road, but we'll see.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 12:14 pm
 I didnt tell anyone i worked with.

For me, having that conversation with co-workers was deeply personal and I didn't feel I could handle it. its funny - as fat as I was (and clearIy "wore it on my sleeve") I felt too emotional about it.

After I began to lose a bunch of weight, people asked and I told them that I was eating a lot less and excersing more.

Looking back on it, I may have been stronger than I gave myself credit for at the time...I don't know...it just wasn't something I could discuss with others.

I've read a lot of posts from folks that have shouted it from the rooftops and I can see the 'freedom' in that approach, too.

Ultimately, it is a very personal decision.

ssboyd
on 10/28/11 12:15 pm - Heath, OH
Well, I haven't been sleeved yet, but I have a lap band.  With the band, everyone knew what was going on and it wasn't too bad.  Mostly everyone was concerned about how safe it was.  The liquid diet beforehand and right after was a pain because it gave me the trots, which meant alot of trips to the restroom.

Now I'm working on getting approved to go from the band to the sleeve and I am not telling but 2 co workers about it and they are not to discuss it with anyone.  We've worked together a long time so people feel they need to give me their opinions and criticism and I don't want to deal with it.  They all know I regained all my weight with the band and I'm sure would blast me with "what makes you think you won't gain it back again?"

I plan to tell them that I am having surgery related to problems with my band but nothing more.  Once I start losing good, then I'll let them in on the secret...... maybe.

Only tell them what YOU are comfortable with.  If you don't want a billion questions and comments, don't say anything. 
Charlie S.
on 10/28/11 12:24 pm
Allow me to start by saying that it is a very personal decision, and you should decide what is best for yourself.  What works for me (or anyone who posted before me) may not be the answer for you.  With that being said...  I work at a Police Department.  Lots of very healthy, very "type A" personalities.  I told EVERYONE!!!  I didn't keep it a secret at all.  And I have heard NOTHING but good things from everyone I have spoken with.  I decided to leave it out there on the table because I was/am proud of myself for getting to this point in my life, and am very happy with my progress.  I didn't want people to think I was "sick" when I started losing quickly.  (Although one lady at work I didn't get a chance to tell stopped me last week concerned there was something wrong with me...  It was kinda fun!)

So, while that worked for me, it may not for you.  But I see many people go back and forth over the issue.  My suggestion, is choose carefully at first and maybe just tell a few (who are sworn to secrecy) to see how they react and how you feel.  Then you can decide to expand and tell others or not.  

Either way, congrats on getting yourself on the path to good health!

Good luck, loser!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

pdalton8
on 10/28/11 12:44 pm - NV
Well said! Thank you for posting!

peeches35
on 10/28/11 12:27 pm
VSG on 04/03/12
i told two coworker and they giving negative advice so i will not tell anyone else.
pdalton8
on 10/28/11 12:46 pm - NV
I agree you do not need the negative stuff shame on them, but good for you girl!

BETHC500
on 10/28/11 2:48 pm

I decided not to tell anyone at work. I have heard alot of negatives from them and snide comments about other people who have had surgery. The general ignorant sentiment is that surgery is the "easy way." Besides I dont need everybody in my business. I have been working out and using a high protein diet for the pre-op weight loss over the last few months. If asked I will just say that I cut portions alot and did high protein diet. If I say anything at all... lol     But it really is a personal thing. If you will get some support then go for it if not then dont... Good luck

shellnsons
on 10/28/11 1:35 pm
 I am having my surgey on November 5th and I am not telling my coworkers...I did tell my nosey supervisor that I will be out for surgery and left it at that...It's none of their buisness..all they do is gossip...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views