Need help with grab on the go lunch ideas...

G5x5
on 8/27/13 3:07 am - VA

I'm asking for true grab while on the go ideas that don't rely in any part on prepping something in advance.  In my case it would be while driving from location A to B during the lunch window.  The purpose of this is to consider ideas that are a suitable replacement for what used to be burgers and fries (or any equivalent "not good for me now" items).  So far I've avoided having to rely on anything like this, but it would be nice to have a list of some fast and convenient options.  I'd love to find some fresh seafood options, but not living in a coastal town, small fish joints are pretty much non-existent.

A couple ideas I considered are:

(1) Chipolte's - Get chicken & beans with hot sauce, maybe add a tiny bit of shredded cheese.  Skip everything else offered and eat only the portion appropriate for a VSG.  I worry a little bit about the high salt content in this scenario though.

(2) Chic-fil-a - Get something with their grilled chicken in (or on) it and throw away the parts that aren't grilled chicken.

(3) Swing by any grocery chain's salad bar and pick up some protein based items.  Seems doable but boring.

My list thins out after that and I'd like some more ideas to carry around in my head.  Feel free to throw in some pros and cons of anything you see.

Thanks

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Keith L.
on 8/27/13 3:15 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Untitled

When I was working in an office I cooked for the week on Sundays, put my meals in the round ziplock containers, then I know what's going in my body.

Wendy's Chili is good in a pinch.

much better to cook yourself, if you don't know how to cook, learn. If you need to learn, message me and I will point you in the right direction.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Lexie 84
on 8/27/13 3:26 am, edited 8/27/13 3:27 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

Chik Fil A has grilled nuggets on their kids menu

Mcdonalds-get a side salad with grilled chicken patty added

Do you have access to a microwave at point A so you can eat on your way to point B or vice versa? If so, just make simple VSG friendly meals and like Keith said, pack em up for the week. Keith has tons of recipes and you can also check out made for/by bariatric people sites such as bariatricfoodie.com and theworldaccordingtoeggface.com to get recipes. If you are able to plan at least once a week, try not to settle for the daily fast food places. Good snacks to keep in stock for on the go are lean deli meats, cheese with good stats, maybe some P28 bread, Quest protein bars (my daily "go to"), PB2 for peanut butter, etc.

I've also found myself making a couple of tilapia filets throughout the week where I can literally just grab one out the fridge and eat as is, like a cold piece of pizza or a cold picnic chicken wing. You'll get only 100 calories and about 20 grams of protein just from that.

claimmaster
on 8/27/13 3:27 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Einstien Bagle has a chicken salad with a corn salsa (I skip the salsa) that is pretty good.  Actually, a lot of places have the chicken on greens salad.  Also, you can grab some sliced meat at the deli counter at a grocery store and just roll and eat that with a little salt and pepper, or carry some mustard with you to dip.  Jerky is handy to just have with you and you don't even have to stop.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

mimij
on 8/27/13 3:29 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Chili is a great option at Wendy's or other restaurants, Panera has a hidden menu with power bowls that have humus, salmon, chicken and other great protein options, carry some cheese sticks and jerky with you, deli lunch meat turkey is okay, salad bowl from Subway with turkey, ham and cheese, burrito bowl from Mo's (choose your ingredients wisely)

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

G5x5
on 8/27/13 4:59 am - VA

What more can you tell me about this "hidden" menu?  It sounds interesting but I couldn't find anything on their website about it (or I didn't look hard enough).

mimij
on 8/27/13 5:12 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

AdeanaMarie
on 8/27/13 3:57 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

My favorite is a lettuce wrap from Jimmy John's.  Fresh, high protein, can only eat half, save other half for later if you can.

Carry a thermal lunch bag / cooler with you, that is my save all.  Saves money too.  Buy some reusable ice packs, bring your drinks, snacks and lunch, dinner if needed.  Then you are not tempted by the other "fast" foods that really are not faster than having the food with your already. 

You can get a small taco salad at QDoba.  However, sodium is going to be high and there are hidden sugars and all chain restaurants.  Though QDoba has an online nutrition calculator.

Some cooler ideas:  cheese sticks, greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, beef sticks, cottage cheese, veggies, leftovers from dinner, protein shake mixes, lean meats, nitrate free lunch meats, my favorite is turkey.  

Turkey roll ups, with thin slice of turkey, cheese slice, hummus or mayo or plain.  Veggies and hummus.

I do not like cooking just for myself.  But I do cook at least once a month and freeze a ton.  Taco meat in individual servings.  Stews, soups, stir fries.  I even freeze turkey slices and they thaw pretty good.

Just a little bit of prep works goes a long way.  :0)

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

cheryls222
on 8/27/13 4:25 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

I prefer knowing what I am eating so my go to is a small cooler with reusable ice packs.  I can fill it up and it's good all day. Refreeze the ice pack over night and your ready to go in the morning.

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

NewNatinIl
on 8/27/13 5:12 am

i take 1/2 avacado and 1 3 oz can of either tuna or chicken. i mix them at work...yum and a healthy may alternative. 

individual cottage cheese packages--breakstone has 2.5/3 oz sizes.

chick fil a--their 4 piece grilled chicken nuggets are 80 cal/1 g fat/17 g protein

if i don't do tuna or chicken, i will bring in yogurt (greek for protein) or leftovers from the night before.

hard boiled egg

rice cake with almond butter--carby but with the fat and protein in the almond butter helps drag out the satisfaction/hunger

but to be honest...for me the most important change i have made for my eating is planning ahead and getting out of the "drive through on the go" mentality.  No really...becuase for me it is too easy to cheat and not eat the right thing.  and then i've fallen off the wagon and it's gone to heck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views