My NUT told me VSG promises 100 lbs lost

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/16/14 5:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MAchick
on 4/16/14 7:10 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Yup!

danixbanani
on 4/16/14 4:43 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

It's all in how you work it and no two people are the same.  I haven't lost 100 pounds (yet) and if I were "promised" 100 pound loss I wouldn't be working as hard as I am to achieve that number.  I think it's total BS for anyone, doctor or no, to promise ANY number of weight loss with a weight loss surgery.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

tdallison
on 4/16/14 5:09 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I know people who have lost only 30 to 50 pounds on both surgeries.  I think you have to work hard at both to be a sucuess.  You get from it what you put into it.

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/16/14 5:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I could throw a whole bunch of numbers your way, but in the end I'm going to leave it to the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery) and their comprehensive comparison of VSG to RNY.

Roughly 800 patients who had each type of surgery were matched by age, BMI, and gender and analyzed at 1, 2, and 3 years post-op. While the mean EWL for RNY was higher at each follow-up point (90s for RNY vs 80s for VSG), there's a +/- of over 26% at each point of comparison. 

Bottom line: from a statistical standpoint, there is no difference in expected loss, short or long term, between VSG and RNY, and it has passed peer-review by the major WLS medical organization.

Numbers don't lie. The study includes ~1,600 patients and was reviewed by any number of clinicians who've seen dealt with more cases in their own practices. With that much variation, any doctor or statistician worth their salt that +/- 25% means there's no sense promising ANYTHING to ANYBODY!

AND if you're limiting your advice to your own anecdotal views (n

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KevinBacon
on 4/16/14 1:37 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

If there was a like button I'd be hitting it right now

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

neamom
on 4/16/14 8:20 am

Just my own personal experience.  I had the sleeve almost four years ago and barely lost 50 lbs.  I needed to lose about 120lbs.  My take is that because I am diabetic and have PCOS which basically causes metabolic havoc I actually needed the bypass portion of either a RNY or DS, which I am approved and going for in the next couple of months.  I had to go back on my diabetic medication at about year three and slowly have been gaining back despite following the rules.  I am 35 pounds down still but I keep going up not down.  So would I choose just the VSG again...Nope

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/14 9:27 am - Smiths Station, AL

Katie why do you always do this? Smh..

are you afraid that you won't be seen or something?

KevinBacon
on 4/16/14 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/10/14
On April 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM Pacific Time, nursecindy47 wrote:

Katie why do you always do this? Smh..

are you afraid that you won't be seen or something?

????

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

A. Kondrlik
on 4/16/14 10:21 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I am a light weight and lost over 110 lbs, I have no doubt that one with more to lose can lose much more than that.  All kinds of percentages, number of pounds, length of time are thrown around by doctors, nuts etc, but it all depends on you.  My weight did come off fairly quickly, but I considered it hard work right from the start.  the difference was prior to surgery I did the hard work and the weight. didn't come off!  Weight loss does slow as time goes on, and I am actually finding maintenance to be harder than weight loss ever was. The commitment is lifelong, you can either look at it like a lifelong chore or an exciting new lifestyle.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 110 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views