bowel issues

Lizzieanne
on 12/17/14 10:02 am
VSG on 10/02/14

I need advice from anyone who has experienced this problem. Sorry for the TMI but I am worried. I had surgery on 10/02/14. Prior to this I was very regular having bowel movements every day. I was also drinking a cup of coffee a day which I think moved things along. Since surgery, I have gone a week without a bowel movement. When I asked my surgeon at the 6 week visit, she said to take Milk of Magnesia. I know though that I can't milk of magnesia regularly plus the 3 times I have taken it, I have almost thrown up from the taste. This week I took 2 stool softeners (without laxative ingrediants) per day for 3 days. After 10 days, I had a bowel movement which was small, round balls. It was also not enough after eating for 10 days,

I do not know what to do. I do not want to become reliant on laxatives. I think the high protein diet is leading to this since it is my main source of nutrition. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to help it? Should I make an appt. with a gastro? My surgeon does not seem much help in this area.

Any advice would help

HW:230. Surgery: 10/02/14. SW:220. CW:198 

Amy M.
on 12/17/14 10:11 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I had horrible constipation for the first couple months after surgery.  I asked my surgeon to prescribe me Lactolose.  I'm not sure on the spelling but my mom has MS so constipation is her life.  She suggested lactolose to me and it certainly helped me go.  Stool softeners didn't work for me and I couldn't get down milk of magnesia because of the fact that it was disgusting and made me gag.  Lactolose comes as a clear syrup and it's tasteless.  I took it as instructed and then every couple days until I got back on a regular bowel schedule.  Even now I only go about two or three times a week. 

GooseGirl
on 12/17/14 10:24 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Miralax helps a lot of people with the constipation. Not sure how much water you are drinking but when I have constipation it seems to be helped when i increase my water intake to around 100 oz a day. As I understand it, as we progress we will start to add fiber back into our diet through vegetables and that will help as well. 

Gohopchick
on 12/17/14 8:17 pm - United Kingdom

I find a half cup of warm prune juice works for me!

Spanky123
on 12/17/14 10:21 pm

Miralax is a godsend, not a lsxative, safe to use everyday.

MAchick
on 12/19/14 12:23 am
VSG on 01/27/14

MiraLAX IS a laxative,  just so you know! 

Gwen M.
on 12/19/14 6:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think the person might have gotten confused since it's a non-stimulant laxative and that's the thing that makes it non-addicting.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 12/17/14 10:56 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My surgeon recommended Benefiber (it is not a laxative).  I use 2 tsp. every day in my protein shake but can take up to 6 tsp a day if needed.  That plus some fiber pills put me on the right track.  It will take a few days to get it working in your system but it's a solution you can do forever.  

Just know that you probably won't have a bowel movement every day.  Every other day or every 3 days is pretty normal for the first 6 months or so.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Mollyann
on 12/17/14 11:36 pm

I agree with spanky123...Miralax saved my life..I had terrible constipation, and like you, had been completely regular prior to surgery. My dietitian had me take two prunes everyday (purée untill able to consume solids , or prune juice cut half and half with water). I am three months out and still take Miralax everyday and the two prunes as well, untill I have a diet to sustain regular bowel movements. I have been instructed to take MOM if and when  missing 2 days without going. REMEMBER you are not consuming much so don't expect much... Good luck. 

Stace62
on 12/17/14 11:43 pm
VSG on 10/31/14

Lizzieanne I totally sympathize with you and understand where you are coming from.  I had my surgery on Oct 31st and did not have a BM for 3 weeks !!  I was taking stool softeners, Senokot, Restoralax(Miralax in US), suppositories, fiber and lactulose.  I went to the ER and called my surgeon and nobody was taking it very seriously - they all had this attitude that I wasn't eating much so what else did I expect.  Well finally I did an enema and that was the only thing that ended up working for me.  I am still taking 2 stool softeners per day and 1 Tablespoon of Restoralax (which does the same thing as Lactulose but has no taste and can be mixed into any drink hot or cold.  I went for my 1 month follow up at the bariatric center and the NP there told me if I haven't gone after 4 days to ramp up the softeners and start taking Senokot every night and if after 7 days still nothing then to do an enema.  Apparently eventually this will work itself out and you will figure out what your "regular" is but don't let yourself go too long because let me tell you after 3 weeks I felt horrible and the whole episode totally drained my energy and made me take a step backward in my recovery.

Good luck to you and hope you get regular soon !!

HW-240  SW-235  CW-209   M1-26.4  M2-xx  M3-xx  M4-xx

Most Active