What do you all do to help prevent extra skin?

Grim_Traveller
on 3/2/15 8:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The best way is to just eat enough bacon that the grease starts coming out your pores. Then your skin will be saturated.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

tstowe
on 3/3/15 12:46 am

Eat it or rub it on?

LOL

poet_kelly
on 3/2/15 2:02 pm - OH

The way to prevent extra skin would have been to prevent gaining extra weight.  Once you've got extra skin, you've got it.  You can't ungrow skin with coconut oil or exercise.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Starlene02
on 3/2/15 4:10 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I never suggested that you could ungrow extra skin.  If a person loses weight slowly they are less likely to have extra skin because the skin has time to adapt. Just like with any other part of your body your skin heals and rejuvenates itself. There are ways of helping it to do that even if it doesn't prevent it entirely. That's all this discussion was about. I never said Coconut oil would prevent extra skin, just that those things might help your skin along.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/2/15 8:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

These are all myths. If you gain weight quickly and lose quickly, your skin will stretch and then shrink. If you have been obese longer, your skin doesn't just stretch, you actually grow new skin. You will always have that skin, unless it is surgically removed. It won't shrink, it just shrivels.

How fast or slow you lose doesn't matter. The extra time for skin to "adapt" doesn't matter. Exercise doesn't matter. oils, creams, and lotions don't matter.

As I said above, how long you were obese does matter. And your age matters. And genetics matters.

I've lost 290 pounds, and was pretty lucky as far as extra skin. I have far less than some people who've lost under a hundred pounds. I didn't do anything to try and prevent it. If  i was gullible enough to spend money on some product that was supposed to help my skin "adapt," I suppose I could say it was all because of that miracle cream. But it was just dumb luck. If anyone tells you their success is because of exercise, creams, or slow loss, it was just dumb luck for them too. As much as you'd like to believe otherwise, it just isn't so.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/2/15 11:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Or! You could take a "before" picture, use some lotion, have plastic surgery, use more lotion, and take an "after" picture. After all, the second one will be "after" the first, right??

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/2/15 11:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Tilted mirror.

6'3" tall, male.

Superchunk77
on 3/2/15 11:34 pm

I use coconut oil on my skin after my showers to lock in moisture to keep my skin soft in the winter... other than that I am saving my pennies for plastics..... 

Starlene02
on 3/3/15 12:02 am
VSG on 11/11/15

Thank you for your polite response. I don't mind to be told I'm wrong or to have others disagree. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. At least I'm trying to better myself. Some people are just rude though. Anyway, I've really loved my coconut oil. I guess I'll deal with plastic surgery when I get to that point. At the moment I have to worry about getting my long driveway blacktopped. That's going to cost me a fortune.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/3/15 1:15 am

I use coconut oil. I'm 27 and have to lose around 140 lbs (96 more to go!) I understand I will have extra skin. But the coconut oil helps me. It also creates less wrinkles because the skin isn't as dry, so it appears to be less stretched out looking, like an optical illusion. 

I think there was a thread here somewhere about a skin firming cream. One I think from a  brand like nivea or jergens. It was a cellulite cream I think. I haven't used it, but a lot of people had good reviews. You may want to do a search. 

I know a lot of people wear spanx every day after surgery. 

Also, anything you're doing now before surgery can only help you. Coconut oil has so many benefits for the hair and skin, so it can only do good! 

viatmin c and beta carotene are great for skin elasticity. So keep that in mind when you're ready to get back on your vitamins (and omega's like fatty fish such as salmon helps support it too!) 

Good luck. I'm trying to pretend the saggy skin doesn't exist bc i think it's obesity's one last slap in my face and i don't want it to overpower my motivation. skin is better than fat! take care!