What do you all do to help prevent extra skin?

Starlene02
on 3/3/15 3:27 am
VSG on 11/11/15

Congrats on your losses so far! That's a great way of looking at it. I believe I might just use your logic.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Cristy C.
on 3/6/15 3:22 am

You are so right!  Someone asked me what I will do about the extra skin, how I will deal with that.  I told them extra skin is a lot healthier than extra fat! 

taracs26
on 3/16/15 12:12 pm

Couldn't agree more.  I think genetics and age are main factors.  I use coconut oil after showers. Im 28 and just had my surgery on 3/10. I'm skin got dry and I could tell in my tummy area my skin already becoming a little loose. The coconut oil seems to help.  Regardless, you are trying to prevent plastics so keep trying. Moisturizing, keeping hydrated, and vitamins has to be be better than nothing.  Skin is much healthier than fat!  My aunt actually did get her plastics fully paid for by donating her skin to burn victims. Not sure how the process took place but there is a thought.

cconroy55
on 3/3/15 3:31 am

I'm using what I think is a Jergens "Skin Firming" lotion.  I "only" have 100 pounds to lose though, and am 44, so i'm thinking i'm on the border of absolutely needing the skin surgery, and the Jergens was only about $5 like any other drugstore brand.  The bottle talks about cellulite and has caffeine like some of the salon products.  At least it motivates me to put the lotion on at all and keeps my skin from looking so dry.  we'll see if it has any long-term benefit in about 6 months as I'm 50 pounds down so far.

FuturePinUp
on 3/5/15 11:47 pm

I am also worried about lose skin - mostly because the idea of plastic surgery completely scares my pants off. I know most of it is genetics and factors out of my control, but there are small things my dermatologist recommended to help such as 1) staying hydrated 2) starting to workout/build muscle as soon as medically cleared to tone 3) Using lotions (Vitamin E and/or Shea/Cocoa butter) after every single shower to assist with keeping my skin hydrated. Other than that, just keeping my fingers crossed!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer