....and the countdown begins!

Jennifer J.
on 9/14/15 7:11 pm - Manassas, VA
with

TWENTY EIGHT DAYS!! 

My surgery is in 28 days! I can't believe I've gotten to this point. I had my endoscopy done today and I was told that I have a small hernia which is getting fixed during my sleeve surgery. 

I am so so excited and nervous at the same time. I'm excited to see what the future holds. I'm excited to finally get this weight off that I've been struggling with for years. I'm excited to feel better about myself. AHHH! 

Side note: when you were on the pre-op liquid diet, did you ever have a day when you are food instead of doing the protein shake for one of the meals? 

Sunshine411
on 9/14/15 8:03 pm

No, I was told 3-shakes per day,64 oz water,sf Popsicles or sf jello,clear broth...4 th shake if needed.  I pretty much made myself drink a bottle of water every morning before I allowed myself to have first shake,then water, and for lunch another shake,if I had drank a full bottle of water...n same for supper.  Only two days did I actually have broth n one day sf jello and sf Popsicles probably five times.  It really wasn't that hard and I was totally dreading no food.  Yet, here I am having surgery in morning...very nervous about the drain,pain, and blood clot warnings...why idk...I'm pretty healthy...have had surgery before n it's just nerves I think...scary to think they are cutting a vital organ...but I will be so happy and grateful to lose the excess pounds.  I'm hoping to lose 70-pounds.  Good luck n just stay positive n take it one day at a time on preop diet.  If you get one meal that's great but I didn't.  

Jennifer J.
on 9/14/15 8:09 pm - Manassas, VA
with

GOOD LUCK!!! I'm sure everything will turn out great!

Only reason I asked about the food thing was because my birthday is the day after my surgery and 3 days before surgery I am planning to have a birthday dinner...of course I don't plan on eating a 5 course meal but yeah lol

suzyq584
on 9/14/15 8:08 pm

Yay for you!  My surgery date is October 8th so we must be really close! 

My pre-op diet does not allow any "food" for the 2 weeks.  All protein shakes.

~Suzy

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/15 8:23 pm

Hello. That is wonderful news that you have your surgery date. I go in on October 5th to get my endoscopy done. Can you tell me what to expect kinda nervous.  Does it take long to take out. Much appreciate any advise.

Jennifer J.
on 9/14/15 8:29 pm - Manassas, VA
with

The endoscopy was pretty easy. Got checked in, then taken back to a room. Took off my shirt & bra and got into a gown. Had my IV started and then the anesthesiologist came in to explain what was going to happen, then the doctor doing the endoscopy came in and did the same. Got taken into the "surgery room", was put on oxygen, had a BP cuff on and they put some leads on my chest to monitor my heart. I was told to turn onto my side and then had a bite block put in my mouth and thats the last thing I remember. After the procedure I was sent to recovery. Everything was fine, when I woke up I coughed a couple of times cus I felt like i had something still in my throat. They tell you that you'll feel drowsy all day, but I was fine. I didn't leave my house though. I've had some discomfort in my throat but nothing serious..it just feels like a swallowed a huge pill. Hope everything turns out great for you!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/15 12:59 am

That is weird.  From what I was told mine is different.  They told me I would be getting a tube down my nose that will go in my stomach. I have to keep it in till following day to have removed. Is there more than one day to do this?

jamrodriguez
on 9/14/15 11:40 pm

My preop diet allowed me to gave plain baked chicken breast and plain tuna (or with only mustard) in addition to the shakes. But everyone's plans are a but different. My advice to you is to stay on your plan, especially that close to surgery. Trust me, your surgeon will know if you cheated. I would try to either have a sooner bday dinner (before you start the liquid diet) or plan something else to celebrate. 

KansasPrincess
on 9/15/15 6:20 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

my pre op is 8 weeks long! 7 weeks and 4 days of 2 protein shakes and a 3rd if needed metamucil if needed and 4-6 oz dense protein and all the veggies i can eat ( besides corn and peas) no dairy. then 3 days before a laxative and all clear liquids from there

cappy11448
on 9/15/15 7:13 am

No, I was good, but it was hard,  especially near the end, and by then, I was afraid I'd negatively impact the surgery if I broke the diet o close to surgery date.  So I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did.  The sleeve is so worth the effort.  I've lost 225 pounds and have been maintaining over a year at a normal BMI, 160 pounds! 

I know the frustration of not being able to control my weight, and the sleeve makes it possible -- not easy but possible.  You have to work the program and you cannot forget that the sleeve is a tool and not a cure.  It takes diligence but it can be done. 

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 192 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views